Does the 6.5PRC need a Muzzle Brake?

I'm having a 6.5PRC built for hunting in Montana. My gunsmith asked if I wanted a muzzle brake or not? He suggested a Kampfeld muzzle brake. Any comments out there by 6.5PRC users whether you'd suggest one for hunting? Thanks.
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor, got a brake on it which really helps spotting shots - I can hold it steady enough (yeah, right - it's on sticks, prone on a pack, etc...) to call my own shots at 600 yard plus. DOWNSIDE - if you don't have ear protection in, you will only shoot this rifle once without it - it is LOUD.
What would I do differently? I probably won't do it at this point, but if I were having a rifle built - I would get a suppressor instead of the brake. My issue is the additional cost for the suppressor, the tax 'stamp' and all of the hoops to jump thru (fingerprinting, etc.).
Real world advice - find someone with that rifle with a brake (your smith knows some) and with a suppressor (he probably knows some) and ask them for their advice and permission to go with them and shoot with them.
Good luck, and let us all know.

I'm having a 6.5PRC built for hunting in Montana. My gunsmith asked if I wanted a muzzle brake or not? He suggested a Kampfeld muzzle brake. Any comments out there by 6.5PRC users whether you'd suggest one for hunting? Thanks.
Have the barrel threaded for one and get a thread Protector if you need /want one you can put it on or take it off

What "extreme duty" are you speaking of, seems everyone uses that tag line now...if your suppressor cut a 223 rem down to about 70 bd that would mean its cutting 70+ db ...that is fabulous

In post #8 you said brakes without plugs will give you extreme hearing damage-- then went on to say " purchase a suppressor and all will be eliminated" which infers you dont need hearing protection with suppressors.

Maybe I read your post wrong, maybe you didnt convey your thoughts fully but that how it sounds to me

Please PM me a link to your suppressor that cuts 70+ db off of a rifle, I'd love to learn more
Me too

When I built mine I just had the barrel threaded. My 24 year old small daughter can shoot it without a break. I think it feels like less recoil than say a 270 or 30-06.

So I can offer some insight to this as I received the 6.5 PRC I had built this past hunting season and ran it with a hellfire brake, the rifle weighs just under 11lb field ready. I was reminded that hearing protection is absolutely necessary and I do not like having to take hearing protection with me while hunting it's just another thing to worry about in the heat of the moment. My solution going forward is this.... Area 419 makes an adapter that allows me to take the brake off without removing the mount and screw my suppressor onto the already installed mount which is how I will hunt next year, this resulted in a negligible impact shift for me. I believe it offers the best of both worlds. In regards to your question of necessity I would say it is not necessary and if I didn't have the suppressor I would hunt without it going forward and reinstall it during the off season.

I loathed brakes for many years. I hated when I went to the range with determination to do some meaningful load development or dial in a new piece of glass and have to contend with the barrage from someones brake.
Then I got one. I bought a 90 degree discharging brake (Live Oak Precision) and most of the painful attributes are mitigated for the people near me and none of the flying dirt, muzzle blast and concussion associated with brakes is noticed by the shooter. That awful, piercing blast is directed laterally, not backward to the shooter or at some perpendicular angle near the shooter, like into your spotters face.

The reduction in recoil is real and very noticeable. The ability to spot your hits is PRICELESS and no matter what caliber you shoot, no matter how heavy your rifle, or how bad you are, even if you have custom, fingerless, leather gloves and a brand new tattoo of skulls and fire with talons and wings of barbed wire that runs plumb to yer fangertips... a brake improves recoil management because felt recoil is decreased by literally half or more, which is way way more impressive than that silly tattoo.
The caveat is, as has been mentioned many times, wear hearing protection, always, even if you don't have a brake. If I hunted only, or mostly, in dense woods, I would forego the brake as recoil management is not an issue at close range.

Let me recommend one of the products which Len sells on this site. It is the Sound Gear package. I have 3 rifles, of which all wear muzzle brakes. I also have significant hearing loss ( due to a lot of loud noise over the course of a lifetime). I have to admit that I was skeptical of the Sound Gear ear plugs performing as advertised. However, I am a converted skeptic and a big proponent of them now.
I shoot 6.5 rifles and also , most commonly, the 7 Rem Mag. The Sound Gear plugs reduce the muzzle blast from all these rifles to a comfortable level. Furthermore, they augment sound as I am hunting, just as my regular hearing aids would. They are unobtrusive, and I forget I have them in my ears... truly the best of all worlds.

I experimented with this. I shoot a 6.5 PRC, 9.5# all in. Area 419 break which you can remove and still offers protection for the barrel threads. Did my barrel break in half with and half without my brake. I will agree with recoil comments. Without brake..like a mild .270. with brake, recoil feels like a 6mm ( I own and shoot both). Can't shoot it all day without the break, I start feeling it. With it I shot 100 rounds throughout the day no issues. Away from the bench is another thing altogether. 2019 deer season I shot my 6.5PRC in a quick window of opportunity hunting situation with the brake on and didn't have my ears ear in. I regret it. Definately caused some permanent damage. Watched the impact 200 yards away from the kneeling position but not worth the cost. If I had to do it all over again I would forgo the break and go with a can. That's still not safe to shoot without ears but given real world situation, I would much rather deal with the report from the can then from the brake ever again in my life. My intention was to use my electronic ear inserts but I took them out at an inopportune time. My experience, as good as my intentions were, failed to account for that. I am aiming the for middle ground and getting a suppressor. I won't hunt with the brake on again.

Isn't that exactly what I said? Where did you find anyone saying a brake was safe to use without hearing protection?...
But I can get to 73db using my suppressor. Still, I always use hearing protection when shooting.
Not to quibble with you, but I'd like to know, specifically, the make and model of that brake please? If that's your results, I'm interested in replacing both of mine.

For hunting, IMO no. What's in your build? Cheers to good hunting, you will enjoy the 6.5 PRC

I have a custom built 6.5 PRC. I have a Thunder Beast brake and I love it. It's not a hunting rig primarily. It's for LR target shooting. I like to see my hits on metal when possible. The brake makes the gun very light on recoil. My theory for shooting has been that less recoil makes me a better shooter. Less apprehension about the shock keeps me calm when i shoot and therefore improves my accuracy. Anyway, it is a great feature on the gun and if you get one I don't think you'd regret it.

Not to quibble with you, but I'd like to know, specifically, the make and model of that brake please? If that's your results, I'm interested in replacing both of mine.
Extreme Duty Suppressor purchase here: www.silentsuppressor.com
For everyone's information the decibel level I quoted was measured at the ear of the shooter. I don't care what it is at the muzzle because, it is only of value if you let someone use your ears for a rifle rest!

Recent Posts