Does the 6.5PRC need a Muzzle Brake?

I have a 10 pound .223 without and a 7 pound 6.5 creedmoor with. Also a 12 pound 6.5 creedmoor with. If I have to shoot the whiskers off a beetle, these are what I'm grabbing.
Favorite is the light 6.5 I can strap it to my back and carry it all day AND pop beetle whiskers.
Do beetles have whiskers...?

Whether you need it or not, I like them on all my rifles. With that being said, I'm not sure I buy into all the hype about controlling muzzle jump. If I get behind the rifle correctly, mounted in my shoulder pocket correctly etc., I don't have a problem with muzzle jump even without a brake. Now, with that being said, a brake sure helps when I'm in an awkward position and can't do all the above and my rifles are more fun to shoot with a brake. I'm going to have a 6.5 PRC built and it will have a brake.

I'm having a 6.5PRC built for hunting in Montana. My gunsmith asked if I wanted a muzzle brake or not? He suggested a Kampfeld muzzle brake. Any comments out there by 6.5PRC users whether you'd suggest one for hunting? Thanks.
I think the only disadvantage is the necessity to wear ear protection. And it is a necessity. However that may be a good aspect as even with an unmuzzled gun there is some hearing damage, even with a 22 rimfire. So if one shoots a gun with a brake it possibly will become a habit to wear ear protection

Thread it with 5/8-24. Muzzlebrakes are loud but think about getting a suppressor. Will be happy with it as a big game or varmint rifle.
Yes brakes are very loud and it would be nice to have a suppressor but how is it justified to spend several hundred dollars to buy a suppressor. My hope is everyone who buys or supports suppressor call their senator and representative state and federal and demand that they stop with the tax stamp and the long wait to get one. They don't cost but few dollars to make and the price would fall if the pubic spoke up. And call them every month until this is changed. Save our ears. A lot of us can't afford a suppressor.

Last edited:
I tried to figure out what 6.5 PRC recoil would be like before I built mine. Now that I have shot it I would echo what another poster said: it recoils similarly to a moderate .308 load.

Do you need a brake for hunting use (I.e. a few sighter shots and then a few shots throughout the season)? Certainly not. I like to shoot approx 50 rounds per session, and a brake makes it much more pleasant for that use cadence.

When you go hunting take the brake off and put thread protector on it is being courteous to those around you. Brakes are very loud and not needed on the hunt. Think of your neighbors.

I HATE brakes!
However, I do own and use a few. The recoil doesn't bother me at all. But the possibility of getting smacked by the ocular ring is a real concern with the magnum rifles. On rifles chambered in 300 mag+ I use a brake for personal safety but they have caused me to loose some hearing ability.
I'll be the first to admit that even though I carry high NRR muffs into the field, I have forgotten to put them on in the excitement of the shot opportunity. Shooting a fully braked 338RUM with no hearing protection, even once, likely has a permanent impact on your hearing. I've done it more than once. :(
The best thing about brakes is my inclination to shoot less powerful cartridges, thus negating the need for one at all.

Muzzle brakes are subjective in one respect, in others they are an option for a more accurate rifle. In my gunsmithing and hunting careers I have seen muzzlebrakes do nothing but make it possible to watch the projectile impact your target. Which in itself is so freaking cool. More times than not I have seen a muzzle brake without any other changes turn a mediocre 1.25" hunting rifle into a 0.375" hunting rifle. that was the best but I have personally seen one of my custom rifles that could not shoot anything well turn into a long range coyote getter (Rem 700 25-06). I also started using it for antelope/pronghorn at 400 yards +. I have seen too many good rifles turn into "go-to" rifles because of muzzle brakes. I have seen the opposite happen as well. I saw a beast of a rifle 505 Gibb's Magnum rifle go from a 1" edge to edge rifle to an abysmal "Improved Cylinder" rifle with the addition of a muzzle brake. I suspect the muzzle brake threads were off and needed to be trued to the axis of the brake.
My best advice is this.. shoot the 6.5 PRC and if you want a brake on it, then have one put on.

Agreed, hearing protection is a must to do just that.... also even with hearing protection, the concussive force of the muzzle blast will cause cumulative damage to the inner ear. A muzzle brake increases the concussive force. A suppressed rifle with ear pro would be the best option for limiting hearing loss. The hearing protection act was a great bill that addressees a real concern shooters are faced with.

I'm having a 6.5PRC built for hunting in Montana. My gunsmith asked if I wanted a muzzle brake or not? He suggested a Kampfeld muzzle brake. Any comments out there by 6.5PRC users whether you'd suggest one for hunting? Thanks.

MB helps with calling own shots. Without seeing your shot you can't adjust for misses which are common in LR shooting due wind (Assuming you and your "kit" including Ammo are dialed in). Wind calling is tough and it's seldom the same between the target and you. By calling your shot you have empirical evidence and immediate feedback of actual conditions down range. That said I primarily shoot suppressed in the field with a Silencerco Harvester as it provides the best of both worlds. I also use an Area 419 Hellfire MB. Their system allows me to shift between Suppresor and MB seamlessly with no indexing issues and little to no POI shift. Area 419 has a new modular suppressor I think a hunter and LR shooter would be well served to purchase.

I personally wouldn't put a brake on a hunting rifle but it's really up to a person's taste. Recoil on a 6.5 prc would be about like a .270 or 30-06

Recent Posts