Does the 6.5PRC need a Muzzle Brake?

Montana73

I'm having a 6.5PRC built for hunting in Montana. My gunsmith asked if I wanted a muzzle brake or not? He suggested a Kampfeld muzzle brake. Any comments out there by 6.5PRC users whether you'd suggest one for hunting? Thanks.

I would echo what others are saying. It totally depends on the shooter. To me the 6.5prc recoils like a moderate 308 or 270 load (not a stout load). When I shoot mine with a brake, it feels even less recoil than a 243. Do you need one? No not really but it definitely is nice and you can see your shots hit which is also nice.

I shoot much more accurately with brakes. If you shoot laying on the ground, the side discharge brake made by this guy is $45, and very very effective: Bostrum

I use electronic ear muffs in the field and on the range. Hear the hunt!

Last edited:
The worst part with a brake is the noise it produces and you will cause severe damage to your hearing without using ear protection. If possible, purchase a suppressor and all will be eliminated. I don't think my PRC is bad but I have a longer barrel than the normal 22"-24" most are using. This gives me more speed and I can shoot it inside of a dime at 200 yards with the proper rests.
Let me suggest what another person has said and if you have a brake installed, buy a side discharging one. Easier on a prone position and saves the paint job on the hood of your vehicle.

Last edited:
The worst part with a brake is the noise it produces and you will cause severe damage to your hearing without using ear protection. If possible, purchase a suppressor and all will be eliminated. I don't think my PRC is bad but I have a longer barrel than the normal 22"-24" most are using. This gives me more speed and I can shoot it inside of a dime at 200 yards with the proper rests.
Let me suggest what another person has said and if you have a brake installed, buy a side discharging one. Easier on a prone position and saves the paint job on the hood of your vehicle.
That whole hearing safe thing is bunk--- firearms are not hearing safe with brakes, without brakes or with suppressors -- unless you can get your rifle under 85db it's not hearing safe so you should always wear hearing protection

That whole hearing safe thing is bunk--- firearms are not hearing safe with brakes, without brakes or with suppressors -- unless you can get your rifle under 85db it's not hearing safe so you should always wear hearing protection
Isn't that exactly what I said? Where did you find anyone saying a brake was safe to use without hearing protection?...
But I can get to 73db using my suppressor. Still, I always use hearing protection when shooting.

Isn't that exactly what I said? Where did you find anyone saying a brake was safe to use without hearing protection?...
But I can get to 73db using my suppressor. Still, I always use hearing protection when shooting.
With subsonic ammo I assume--- I've not seen any suppressed rifles shooting supersonic ammo that gets near hearing safe...that's what gets me, people think suppressors make their rifles hearing safe , very few do so...they will find out in 10 years or so that suppressors dont replace hearing protection.

Most suppressors cut the db by around 30, supersonic ammo in a rifle runs around 160 or more db....if you are lucky you might get supersonic ammo down into the 120 range but that's about it

https://www.silencercentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Silencer_Sound_Comparsion_chart.pdf

osha requires hearing protection when sustained levels reach 85db--now those cci quiet ammo are listed as 68 db (from a rifle) so those are ok

With subsonic ammo I assume--- I've not seen any suppressed rifles shooting supersonic ammo that gets near hearing safe...that's what gets me, people think suppressors make their rifles hearing safe , very few do so...they will find out in 10 years or so that suppressors dont replace hearing protection.
What I don't understand from your comments is where did I say anything about not wearing hearing protection in anything I wrote. My mention of getting a suppressor was for recoil reduction only. Maybe you should reread my comments again before you fly off the handle with self indulged criticism, ya think?

Most suppressors cut the db by around 30, supersonic ammo in a rifle runs around 160 or more db....if you are lucky you might get supersonic ammo down into the 120 range but that's about it

https://www.silencercentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Silencer_Sound_Comparsion_chart.pdf

osha requires hearing protection when sustained levels reach 85db--now those cci quiet ammo are listed as 68 db (from a rifle) so those are ok

Recent Posts