Does the 6.5PRC need a Muzzle Brake?

Well, cohunt is right on the 85 dBA deal. The ACGIH used to list the OSHA PEL for chlorine at 1.0 ppm, but the average odor threshold is 3.0 ppm, so by the time you smell the stuff at the community pool, you're overexposed from an occupational standpoint. From what I've seen, it's the least of anyone's worries at a public pool, anyway (think Caddyshack). Unless the DNR is going to come out in the field with noise meters, I don't think we need to worry about it unless we run a guide service and employ more that 10 people.

Anyway, I don't think a 6.5 PRC needs a break @ 17.5 ft/lbs. recoil on the average. It's still less than a 30-06 w/ a 150 grain bullet, which is kinda where I draw the line.

I routinely hunt with "un-braked" rifles without hearing protection and would like to keep it that way. So my vote is for no brake and a 6.5 PRC and I may just get one. I'll have time to mitigate the temporary threshold shift in the off season.

Cheers

The idea of shooting a rifle without hearing protection sounds very immature. Hopefully you don't have kids to train.

Because I was taught to put tissue in my ears when I was young by a grandfather who was losing his hearing I never deviated away from protecting my ears when shooting, running chainsaws or other equipment that produced huge decibels of sound. In Vietnam I wasn't fortunate to allow myself that discipline as I had to be able to hear the enemy encroachment and suffered from some loss of hearing there I'm certain.
But, at 73 I don't have to say "Huh, whatdiddysay?" as most of my friends seem to do. I cringe when I hear someone who is of hard hearing say: " I don't need hearing protection anymore!" They need it more than ever before in my opinion.

I'm having a 6.5PRC built for hunting in Montana. My gunsmith asked if I wanted a muzzle brake or not? He suggested a Kampfeld muzzle brake. Any comments out there by 6.5PRC users whether you'd suggest one for hunting? Thanks.

The 6.5 isn't even a .30 caliber rifle. My Ruger 5.56 came with one on it, to my surprise, and I asked WHY? My rule of thumb has always been .338 or higher, muzzle brake. The one I most prefer is the Weatherby Accumark. I haven't had the opportunity to try the Browning brake, but just research indicates that they would be my second choice.

My opinion is have the barrel threaded for a break or a suppressor and if you get too much muzzle jump or decide you want one you can have it fitted at that point

I'm having a 6.5PRC built for hunting in Montana. My gunsmith asked if I wanted a muzzle brake or not? He suggested a Kampfeld muzzle brake. Any comments out there by 6.5PRC users whether you'd suggest one for hunting? Thanks.

This boils down to personal preference
/ intended use. I have a 6.5 CM that came in threaded so I screw in my suppressor and MB and it makes it even more pleasant to shoot.

IIWY, I'd at least have it threaded (~$100 ) just in case you change your mind later. If you have it threaded for 5/8-24, I have a couple of self-indexing MB in 6.5/.264 for you to try if you want.

An effective muzzle brake serves two purpose; recoil of felt recoil and reduction of muzzle rise/ flip. "My" recommendation is to take every opportunity to reduce both.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Extreme Duty Suppressor purchase here: www.silentsuppressor.com
For everyone's information the decibel level I quoted was measured at the ear of the shooter. I don't care what it is at the muzzle because, it is only of value if you let someone use your ears for a rifle rest!

GB: It's a matter of perspective. ;-) I had an instructor in the Navy who was fond of saying "All things are relative." For myself, that's a truism.

No. I don't have a PRC, but I have other 6.5's and 7mags, and don't need a muzzle brake.

You don't "need" a brake for anything. Guys used to get the detached retina shooting the .378Wby from time to time. Brakes are fantastic. So are thread protectors. Have the brake installed with a thread protector if you don't use the brake hunting or whatever. You will probably have no interest in taking it off. I have the Christensen Mesa in the 6.5 PRC and have shot it with and without the brake. It is still comfortable without, but it really is much easier to see impact with.

No. I built one with a Bartlein 3B barrel (26"), which isn't the heaviest in the world. I put one on, but removed it because the gun shoots better without it. Then I realized it was never necessary to begin with. Bottom line, if your gun weighs under 7 pounds, then by all means install one, but otherwise, totally unnecessary.

Recoil is not a problem. Being able to hold the sight picture sure helps. Being able to see the hit and the reaction at long range is a big plus.

Recoil is not a problem. Being able to hold the sight picture sure helps. Being able to see the hit and the reaction at long range is a big plus.
I would think depending on the shooter (and their reaction to recoil, or even perceived recoil), the weight of the rifle.

The question is a little like 'How long is a string'. It always depends.

muzzle break or suppressor will generally always be beneficial, how much help???