Does the 6.5PRC need a Muzzle Brake?

I think your best option would be to have your muzzle threaded 5/8-24 with a end cap to protect the threads. If you want a break or a suppressor it's very easy to add one at that point. There are many high quality screw on breaks and some are QD type that match with the same brand Suppressor. I shoot a surefire QD break on a few of my rigs which allows me to shoot my Surefire Can on any of them if I wish. I'm in the process of building a 6.5 PRC and am doing exactly this. On my 6.5 PRC I will using the YHM QD break and will have the option of adding my new YHM Resonator if I so desire. Just my take for what it's worth. Gives you numerous options by just getting the barrel threaded.

Last edited:
I have a 6.5-284 (should have very similar recoil) in a 8.5lb rifle scoped, 24" barrel. I set it up with a small timed 2 port side baffle break, but also spin it off and can spin on my direct thread ultra 5.

I can spot shots with both, setup just depends on if I am worried about weight, length, or traveling with the suppressor.

My advice is with the custom, set it up so you could have both and tread it with 5/8-24 threads and a timed break, then you have the option for the can, or even have the smith setup a thread protector ghat blends into the barrel...you'd be covered for anything you want to do.

I have developed a very keen sense of "Selective Hearing" when it comes to wife. Only hear what I want. Get away with it too, due to all the gunfire over the years. Don't even need earplugs, I'm so good at it I don't even hear her unless I want to.
I use my hearing/listening juice its made by Budwiser!

My prc is 10 lbs and mild recoil. It is very similar to my 6.5-284's. In a hunting situation I would rather not run a brake if I don't have hearing pro on. However, that 1 or 2 shots directly behind the muzzle a few times per year is a non-issue. Sustained shooting is a problem.

I do prefer brakes period for staying on target. My overall preference is a suppressor and I use mine for everything except PRS matches. The suppressor incorporates a brke and noise reduction which is an overall win for me. I can tell you, regardless of the Osha standards, that the can is extremely valuable to me. I take my dog with me hunting and he lays next to me when I shoot. He hates the rifle without a can but with a can he will literally fall asleep and doesn't flinch.

I'm having a 6.5PRC built for hunting in Montana. My gunsmith asked if I wanted a muzzle brake or not? He suggested a Kampfeld muzzle brake. Any comments out there by 6.5PRC users whether you'd suggest one for hunting? Thanks.

always suggest muzzle break or suppersor

I concur with Gone Ballistic on the suppressor. My 6.5 is fitted with a SilencerCo suppressor and while I wear hearing protection a the range both the recoil and noise is greatly reduced. I call my own hits/misses from 200 meters out.

Thread it with 5/8-24. Muzzlebrakes are loud but think about getting a suppressor. Will be happy with it as a big game or varmint rifle.

Just my 2 cents

26 years industrial and 10 years logging experience before that with some Army experience inbetween.

Osha arguements here are TOTALLY WRONG!

SUSTAINED DB VS INSTANTANEOUS DB ARE APPLES VS ORANGES COMPARISON

I HAVE RAN OSHA HEARING TESTS AND OTHER HEARING CONSERVATION TESTS DOZENS OF TIMES OVER THE PAST 29 YEARS AS A NIST TRAINED METROLOGY TECHNICIAN.

WEAR HEARING PROTECTION ANY TIME YOU CAN!!!

HOWEVER

223, 243, 2506, 280AI, 7MM MAG, 3006, 300 WIN MAG, 338 WIN MAG, 300 WEATHERBY, 375 ULTRA..... I HAVE SHOT BETTER WITH A BRAKE, I CAN ALWAYS SEE THE SHOT...

ESPECIALLY ON THOSE 60-90 GRAIN LOADS!!!!!

1,2,3 SHOTS ON A BRAKED RIFLE 3 OR 4 HUNTS A YEAR WILL ADD UP OVER A LIFETIME GUARANTEED...

SO DOES RIDING THE HARLEY WITH A HALF HELMET

VACUUMING

RUNNING A CHAIN SAW

DRIVING A PICKUP AT 70 WITH WINDOWS OPEN

USING A RECIRC SAW

DRILLING STEEL

WELDING

USE A BRAKE, ENJOY PINK MIST, ENJOY SEEING THE IMPACT....

LESSEN THE RECOIL......

6.5PRC MIGHT NOT NEED IT, BUT ITS NICE

My suggestion, if you are still undecided, is to have the barrel threaded with a nice or matching thread protector so you have the option to add A muzzle device later.

Aesthetics aside, there are many options out there, Unless your preference runs to a permanent muzzle break that will look like it was machined into the barrel. A threaded barrel provides flexibility in this regard and more "neighbor friendly" options at a range or when shooting close to friends.

I have a couple of rifles with the permanent brake like this but I don't shoot these prone and generally don't use near others so not an issue for me - personal choice. I like muzzle breaks, but please wear hearing protection, they are considerably noisier and will cause hearing damage.

The rifle in my avatar is an Eliseo Chasis put together by Pierce Engineering, they asked the same question and I went with a threaded end and they machined the thread protector and you have to look real close to see the cap, tooo pretty. I now have a suppressor and brake and I like the options this setup provides. POI shift? Yes, .75" low at 100yds with the can. Haven't shot the brake yet. I am not recoil averse but the brakes make big magnums more pleasant to shoot. Good luck with your choice.

Wow , can we go a week without the muzzle break argument?! It's a personal preference , so why not have the Smith thread the barrel for one and put a thread protector on it. Shoot it without and Uf muzzle jump or recoil is a problem screw one on and done. Seems simple to me.