Does the 6.5PRC need a Muzzle Brake?

Where did I ever state anything about not using hearing protection with a suppressor? My mention of a suppressor was in regard to recoil. I always use hearing protection and don't see anywhere I suggested otherwise. Maybe you should reread what I wrote again before you start ranting. So sorry you're having such a bad day..

With subsonic ammo I assume--- I've not seen any suppressed rifles shooting supersonic ammo that gets near hearing safe...that's what gets me, people think suppressors make their rifles hearing safe , very few do so...they will find out in 10 years or so that suppressors dont replace hearing protection.

Most suppressors cut the db by around 30, supersonic ammo in a rifle runs around 160 or more db....if you are lucky you might get supersonic ammo down into the 120 range but that's about it

https://www.silencercentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Silencer_Sound_Comparsion_chart.pdf

osha requires hearing protection when sustained levels reach 85db--now those cci quiet ammo are listed as 68 db (from a rifle) so those are ok
Interestingly enough I own an "Extreme Duty Suppressor " I purchased from them that I have mounted on my. 223, which is the one I discussed previously. Maybe you should take the time to look it up. What you showed me is old testing that is usually used by suppressor manufacturers to sell their product because it beats this chart. This is also the case here. With all of the new technology available today those numbers are suppressors of the past. But, I still wear hearing protection whenever I shoot as I have custom made earplugs that are moulded for my ears. Very comfortable to wear, I might add. You can even sneak them on without your wife noticing once in awhile..

Last edited:
Interestingly enough I own an "Extreme Duty Suppressor " I purchased from them that I have mounted on my. 223, which is the one I discussed previously. Maybe you should take the time to look it up. What you showed me is old testing that is usually used by suppressor manufacturers to sell their product because it beats this chart. This is also the case here. With all of the new technology available today those numbers are suppressors of the past. But, I still wear hearing protection whenever I shoot as I have custom made earplugs that are moulded for my ears. Very comfortable to wear, I might add. You can even sneak them on without your wife noticing once in awhile..
I have developed a very keen sense of "Selective Hearing" when it comes to wife. Only hear what I want. Get away with it too, due to all the gunfire over the years. Don't even need earplugs, I'm so good at it I don't even hear her unless I want to.

I have developed a very keen sense of "Selective Hearing" when it comes to wife. Only hear what I want. Get away with it too, due to all the gunfire over the years. Don't even need earplugs, I'm so good at it I don't even hear her unless I want to.
I could handle shooting my. 338 Edge without plugs easier than that darn shrieking emulator that becomes so voluminous...

What "extreme duty" are you speaking of, seems everyone uses that tag line now...if your suppressor cut a 223 rem down to about 70 bd that would mean its cutting 70+ db ...that is fabulous

In post #8 you said brakes without plugs will give you extreme hearing damage-- then went on to say " purchase a suppressor and all will be eliminated" which infers you dont need hearing protection with suppressors.

Maybe I read your post wrong, maybe you didnt convey your thoughts fully but that how it sounds to me
The worst part with a brake is the noise it produces and you will cause severe damage to your hearing without using ear protection. If possible, purchase a suppressor and all will be eliminated. I don't think my PRC is bad but I have a longer barrel than the normal 22"-24" most are using. This gives me more speed and I can shoot it inside of a dime at 200 yards with the proper rests.
Let me suggest what another person has said and if you have a brake installed, buy a side discharging one. Easier on a prone position and saves the paint job on the hood of your vehicle.

Please PM me a link to your suppressor that cuts 70+ db off of a rifle, I'd love to learn more

Last edited:
Well, cohunt is right on the 85 dBA deal. The ACGIH used to list the OSHA PEL for chlorine at 1.0 ppm, but the average odor threshold is 3.0 ppm, so by the time you smell the stuff at the community pool, you're overexposed from an occupational standpoint. From what I've seen, it's the least of anyone's worries at a public pool, anyway (think Caddyshack). Unless the DNR is going to come out in the field with noise meters, I don't think we need to worry about it unless we run a guide service and employ more that 10 people.

Anyway, I don't think a 6.5 PRC needs a break @ 17.5 ft/lbs. recoil on the average. It's still less than a 30-06 w/ a 150 grain bullet, which is kinda where I draw the line.

I routinely hunt with "un-braked" rifles without hearing protection and would like to keep it that way. So my vote is for no brake and a 6.5 PRC and I may just get one. I'll have time to mitigate the temporary threshold shift in the off season.

Cheers

That whole hearing safe thing is bunk--- firearms are not hearing safe with brakes, without brakes or with suppressors -- unless you can get your rifle under 85db it's not hearing safe so you should always wear hearing protection
This is also wrong. 85db and less is safe for 8hrs CONSTANT. Any louder than 85db will depend on length of time exposure and how many dB above. So theoretically a one time exposure to 120db may cause the tiniest amount of hearing loss that medical grade equipment may not detect. But repeated exposure to 120db will definitely cause hearing loss. This is why older gents from the days of not wearing hearing protection are now starting to really notice their hearing loss, such as my father in-law. He rarely wears hearing protection and is almost def in his right ear. He has been hunting and shooting since he was 5. He is now 65. His hearing was still decent 8 years ago but has drastically gone down hill since. I am not advocating shooting without hearing protection, just stating the appropriate facts. Another example is his beat friend does not really shoot much but he hunts every year with a 300 ultra mag. When he sights on rifles he always wears shooting protection. When he hunts, he never wears it. He shoots that gun maybe 3 times a year during the season. He still has good hearing. It is all about dB level and length of time exposure.

This is also wrong. 85db and less is safe for 8hrs CONSTANT. Any louder than 85db will depend on length of time exposure and how many dB above. So theoretically a one time exposure to 120db may cause the tiniest amount of hearing loss that medical grade equipment may not detect. But repeated exposure to 120db will definitely cause hearing loss. This is why older gents from the days of not wearing hearing protection are now starting to really notice their hearing loss, such as my father in-law. He rarely wears hearing protection and is almost def in his right ear. He has been hunting and shooting since he was 5. He is now 65. His hearing was still decent 8 years ago but has drastically gone down hill since. I am not advocating shooting without hearing protection, just stating the appropriate facts. Another example is his beat friend does not really shoot much but he hunts every year with a 300 ultra mag. When he sights on rifles he always wears shooting protection. When he hunts, he never wears it. He shoots that gun maybe 3 times a year during the season. He still has good hearing. It is all about dB level and length of time exposure.
Actually, no
Osha stats if any noise is over 85 db then a hearing protection program must be instated that provides training and ppe to reduce hearing los. If you have a time weighted average over 85db then if a hearing protection program isnt in place and people arent wearing hearing protection then sitations/violations/fines are incurred, time weighted over 85db for full shift requires hearing pro for the whole shift ...if you have any single noise at or above 120db it's an automatic violation and hearing pro must be worn during that activity to the extent of wearing muffs over plugs --- this is all of course after engineering controls to reduce the noise levels at the source and management controls to remove the personnel from the noise increased areas

Last edited:
Heck, if I was going to re-up my CIH or CSP certification, I wouldn't bother trying to get any CEU's at some boondogle in Orlando, I'd just log on to the LRH forum! Thankfully, I left that line of work many years ago. Didn't want to end up on the witness stand!!