Does Strapping down your rifle result in tighter shot groups?

Mind if I chime in here?

Good.

Here goes.

First off shooting a 270 Win with 150 gr bullets with any of the 4831s is futile except for short range white tail shooting.

Next there isn't enough recoil there to warrant a lead sled. in fact there is nothing in this whole wide world that warrants a lead sled except when one wants to haul lead in snow. Seriously........

I also noted in one of the pics posted that there was a harmonic dampener on the barrel and a strap over the chamber area of the barrel.

1. The strap renders the harmonic dampener useless.
  2. How often does one shoot in the field with a strap holding the fore end down?
I would venture to guess that point of impact and group size also could change significantly.

When hunting, especially LRH, it is imperative that the entire system is involved in load development, drop chart development and hunting. The "system" usually doesn't include a lead sled as its too heavy and bulky to lug to the shootin spot.

The standard accepted system, until better components are developed, include a rear bag(s) and a bipod up front. Some use shooting sticks. Whatever is used is what should be used during zeroing and drop chart development.

However, I do lean towards a sand bag, bench rest tripod and shooting bench with one hand for the pistol grip and trigger with the other for slight adjustment (squeezing) the sand bag for load development, chrono graphing and checking zero. I have noticed no POI changes when switching from tripod to bipod and it is always checked.

Any thing/object/device inserted between the human and the rifle in the system usually tends to detract from complete success.

If recoil is a personal sensitivity, a strap on shoulder protector or a shooting jacket may be useful.

Another consideration would be to shift from a 150 class bullet to a 140 NAB or even a Hornady 140 SPBT and stoke some RL-22 behind it an get the 270 into its class for LRH.

I don't like the way some of this post "sounded" I'll apologize in advance for any poor communications.

A word on the nosler partitions that didn't group all that well for you. I have shot a lot of partitions over the years in several rifles and they are real game takers. I have found , however; that they are not the most accurate bullets in a lot of rifles. I've had a couple of rifles that were sub moa and the best I could do with the partitions was about 1 1/2 moa. no doubt because the partition is more difficult to keep concentric and balanced. Hope this helps.....Rich

Next there isn't enough recoil there to warrant a lead sled. in fact there is nothing in this whole wide world that warrants a lead sled except when one wants to haul lead in snow. Seriously........

I also noted in one of the pics posted that there was a harmonic dampener on the barrel and a strap over the chamber area of the barrel.

I don't like the way some of this post "sounded" I'll apologize in advance for any poor communications.

first off recoil can only be judged by the shooter as to is it too much. second the picture was by a completly different person.
apoligy accepted.

(note to self, figure out how to show sarcasm and humor in print without offended anyone before posting this):D

now back to the original question. you did not tell us anything about the group except it was about 3 inches at 200 yards. was this vertical or windage. with a 10 mph cross wind if you had one shot that was fired with no wind and one with full value wind that would open group up to almost 3 inches, a picture of the group would help. as to strapping down you rifle. that is only advised when you are transporting it over rough ground to keep it from jumping out of the case or gun rack that some of us still use.

Last edited:
(note to self, figure out how to show sarcasm and humor in print without offended anyone before posting this):D

That is a tuffy...........:D

I agree that too much recoil is a personal thing. For me a sporter weight '06 w/150s if uncomfortable, I fact I won't shoot it. But a braked 338 RUM w/300 smks is more than fun to shoot.

I appreciated you working of words with the strap down idea.

A hunting friend of mine packed his lead sled in to his shooting spot as his Dr. said you run a good chance of separating you sternum (3 mo after heart surgery). He felt the sled was his only option.

As is typical the buck didn't play the game and kept moving however slowly. Find he says to hell with this, raised the rifle in the sitting position and made the harvest. Then we had to get both the sled and the deer out. The sled is now collecting dust. BTW the load was a stout one w/165s in an '06.gun)

jmason,

See.....

What'd I tell ya:D

Here's some data:

IMR 4064 .277" " 42.0 2584 45.0 2719

Range? probably 75 yards.

I hope I didn't just step in it! :rolleyes:

Nope, no stepping, I just know they worked on deer, and I think we actually were up some where around 46 to 47 grains not that it really makes a difference, the nice thing was that the partitions really didn't make that big of a mess.:rolleyes:

Tank

Nope, no stepping, I just know they worked on deer, and I think we actually were up some where around 46 to 47 grains not that it really makes a difference, the nice thing was that the partitions really didn't make that big of a mess.:rolleyes:

Tank

Wheeeew! I was a bit worried. That is a good load for Penn's Woods and other places.

Good goin!

Sure hoping to prove ya wrong this winter Roy! I do believe I've got my stuff together this year. Maybe after this winter I'll graduate up to one of cannons you're shootin.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.