Does Shell holder brand matter with Whidden dies? Reloading 300PRC

Troutslayer2

I am tooling up to reload 300 PRC and I think I'm going to try Whidden bushing dies. Not sure what shell holders play well with them, or if it matters with that die or not. Interested in your input on those dies as well. It's between them and Forster right now....

The equipment manufacturers seem pretty slow to update their offering, or the descriptions of what they offer. I think it's a RCBS #4 shell holder. Can anyone confirm?

I can not seem to figure out what LE Wilson case trimming shell holder (if any) is available for this cartridge yet- anyone know?

One other thing I can't figure out- which bushing do you use to measure shoulder bump with the Hornady tool? Or do you have to buy a new one that didn't come with the kit of 5?

Also in the market for a custom to caliber cleaning rod guide. I have not tooled up for a new cartridge in a while and wondering who is making a quality Nylon one you can insert in the chamber for cleaning.

Thanks for any help. I'm looking to have all this stuff figured out in the next couple of months before my build is finished.

I am tooling up to reload 300 PRC and I think I'm going to try Whidden bushing dies. Not sure what shell holders play well with them, or if it matters with that die or not. Interested in your input on those dies as well. It's between them and Forster right now....

The equipment manufacturers seem pretty slow to update their offering, or the descriptions of what they offer. I think it's a RCBS #4 shell holder. Can anyone confirm?

I can not seem to figure out what LE Wilson case trimming shell holder (if any) is available for this cartridge yet- anyone know?

One other thing I can't figure out- which bushing do you use to measure shoulder bump with the Hornady tool? Or do you have to buy a new one that didn't come with the kit of 5?

Also in the market for a custom to caliber cleaning rod guide. I have not tooled up for a new cartridge in a while and wondering who is making a quality Nylon one you can insert in the chamber for cleaning.

Thanks for any help. I'm looking to have all this stuff figured out in the next couple of months before my build is finished.

When in doubt go directly to the source, i.e., Whidden, RCBS, Lee Wilson, Forster.

ADDED:

Hornady shows .300 PRC shell holder as #5 HRN390545

.300 PRC Hornady shellholder.jpg

You can cross-reference it with >>> https://www.grafs.com/uploads/technical-resource-pdf-file/15.pdf

.300 PRC X reference.jpg

Last edited:
I really like Whidden dies. I have them for two rifles - very concentric repeatable results - IMHO your splitting hairs between Redding, Forster & Whidden.

No special shell holders needed. RCBS & Hornady work fine.

In theory, shell holder won't matter as long as you use the same one every time.
In practice, I have found there is a minor difference between brands where the rim slot is bigger, allowing a larger rim thickness (or mandating a tighter rim tolerance). Same with rim diameter, some brands have more slop.

I really like Whidden dies. I have them for two rifles - very concentric repeatable results - IMHO your splitting hairs between Redding, Forster & Whidden.

No special shell holders needed. RCBS & Hornady work fine.

I too like Whidden dies, When I asked for shell holder, they recommend the same brand as my press. It just so happen that I have the same shell holder in Lyman, Redding, Hornady, and RCBS and when I measured them, they were all the same.

Your whidden die set comes with a tool that attaches to dial calipers to measure shoulder bump. Nice addition that adds value to the whiddens. I have a few whidden sets and they are nice. I have gold medal rcbs and Redding comp dies. Can't go wrong with any of them. I really like the rcbs seater. You just drop your bullet in the slot and then put a brass in the press and seat.
Really slick. I get plenty of concentricity from all of them. Had one set of Forster in 6br that worked very good also. Get which one you like best or has the best price you cant really go wrong with any of them. My friend shoots 1000yd br and uses only the 40 dollar Hornady dies. He wins alot.
Shep

I haven't tried the Whiddens yet but would like to. All mine are Redding Competition. For the shell holders I really like the Redding sets. You'd need #6 for the PRC - full set is .002" increments (+.002", +.004". +.006", +.008" and +.010") plus the standard 0.00" seperately. It makes getting bump correct very easy. For most common cartridges two sets does most everything. #1 gets 308 head size and #6 is magnum.

If you buy Whidden dies you will get a shoulder gauge with the set, I usually buy the click adjustable sizing dies. the sizing dies do bump the shoulder also, I have 2 sets of Whidden dies and am very happy with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.