Does seating solid bullets require a different seating die?

ssssnake529

Started reloading using some high bc solid copper bullets in my 6.5 Creedmoor.

It appears that the bullets are not compatible with my seating die (Whidden gunworks.)

They are getting stuck in the die. The second one I tried to seat pulled the stem out of the die.

Is there a fix for this? (Sent an email to Whidden to ask them, but was wondering if I'm going to have to buy a different seating die for solid bullets.)
38442884324_71338b51fd_o.jpg

From the marks on your case neck it looks like you are using a Lee collet die?
If so are you getting pucker marks on the inside of the case necks?
What is the diameter of the mandrel?

If you are not using a Lee collet die then something is scoring the outside of your case necks.

Did you pull the partially seated bullets and check the bullet and case neck.

You can ease seating effort by using powdered graphite which is nothing more than very fine carbon. And the carbon can be removed during case cleaning and increase seating force.

CH3epH9.jpg

Bottom line, bullets should not increase seating effort "BUT" the condition/friction inside the neck can increase seating effort. Meaning how the case necks were cleaned that can increase friction, if the inside of the neck was deburred enough, amount of carbon left inside the neck, etc.

Last edited:
Whidden is going to make some new stems which are compatible with these bullets. I sent them the bullets I am using. I am already using graphite lube. Turns out that these bullets are not compatible with the stems in my Whidden dies.

I'm still curious as to how your case necks got scored with vertical marks.
Are you using a bushing or non-bushing die or are the marks from a Lee collet die?

I'm still curious as to how your case necks got scored with vertical marks.
Are you using a bushing or non-bushing die or are the marks from a Lee collet die?

The scoring appears to be from the sizing die. This is Lapua brass. Brand new, never fired. I sized it. The sizing die is what scored the necks.

I am using Whidden bushing dies.

I would say you have a rough bushing.

Whidden Gunworks Reloading Die Bushings
http://www.whiddengunworks.com/reloading-die-bushings/

Whidden Gunworks bushings start life as D2 tool steel bar stock. They are then CNC Lathe turned to size, bored, and the entry point is radiused. After the first lathe process an addtional process is ran to cleanup and radius the backside of the bushing. From this point the bushings are then placed into a fixture in the Haas CNC Mill and engraved. After the first three processes are completed the bushings are sent off to a Heat Treat facility where they are dual tempered/heat treated to Rc60. Upon return from heat treating they are inspected and hand polished to a perfectly smooth internal finish.

I'm sending the sizing die back to Whidden. They are going to look at the die, and possibly polish it up. Good customer service from these folks. Nice to contact them and get straight to the boss.

Whidden made my (now sold) .408 Cheytac and my newer .375 Snipetac dies, they both left these marks. Both rifles are extremely accurate at some very long distances, so I'm not worried about the marks.

I don't like good customer service. I like parts done right so I never have to talk to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts