Does neck length on brass make a difference in accuracy?

TBuckus

Would a neck length that is .020 shorter than max affect accuracy?

I'm currently using Nosler 25-06 brass for my 6.5-06. Easy to resize and don't have to trim. It's actually around .020 or more short of max.
Although it would require more work, would using 270 win brass and trimming closer to max length make a difference?
I found a deal on Nosler 270 brass and I'm wondering if I should switch to it.

Ive been wondering the same question, just a different cartridge...

264wm;
The neck on trimmed brass seems way shorter than most other neck lengths...IIRC 2.50 is the case length spec... -.010 for trimmed length of 2.40

So I have been wondering if I should trim a little less to get more grip from the neck or use .005 neck tension???????????????

I;ve been wanting to do this very same thing with 308 win cases for my 7mm/08. When resized they are shorter.My only fear is this thing about a carbon ring build up in the chamber with the shorter case. Some of you pros chime in on this.

Usually the case length doesn't have much effect on accuracy as long as all cases are the same length. That is why the general rule of reloading is to trim all cases to the same length as the shortest case you are going to load for that cartridge.

I'd tend to agree with Gunpoor, trimming all the cases to consistent oal is probably more important to accuracy...
I have a couple ackley improved guns now and fire forming from the parent case almost always leaves the improved case way short of the max overall length of the chamber and I have always found an extremely accurate load for them...
Come to think of it I used some 30-06 brass to form 280ai brass because I couldn't get my hands on actual 280ai brass at the time... the cases from the 30-06 lapua brass ended up a good 30 thou shorter necks than the nosler saami spec brass, both cases shoot equally well in that gun
Orch

I;ve been wanting to do this very same thing with 308 win cases for my 7mm/08. When resized they are shorter.My only fear is this thing about a carbon ring build up in the chamber with the shorter case. Some of you pros chime in on this.
I believe you are correct. While fireforming 280 brass for my 6.5 Sherman, I had a couple of nasty carbon rings form in the end of the chamber neck. A PITA to clean. Now that they are formed, I trim case to .005" of my chamber neck end and have no problem with carbon ring. Initially, short necks can be a detriment, especially the short '06 necks. That said accuracy was consistent.

I believe you are correct. While fireforming 280 brass for my 6.5 Sherman, I had a couple of nasty carbon rings form in the end of the chamber neck. A PITA to clean. Now that they are formed, I trim case to .005" of my chamber neck end and have no problem with carbon ring. Initially, short necks can be a detriment, especially the short '06 necks. That said accuracy was consistent.

I was thinking the same thing. There was a thread about this on accurate shooter. Kind of scared me. Did you have any problem getting the ring cleaned up. What did you use. A poster on accurate shooter said that Permax gasket remover was great for this. Not sure how it would affect the chamber.

+1 on go for it. Every wildcat I have/have had started with short brass, never had any trouble with accuracy. Did have to watch for a carbon ring in a .222 mag AI that I made a few years ago, but I never had trouble with that in the first one of those, or my dasher, or my ppc or my 6mm AI.

Just use what is easy/on hand and fire at will. (not your buddy Will either :)

I was thinking the same thing. There was a thread about this on accurate shooter. Kind of scared me. Did you have any problem getting the ring cleaned up. What did you use. A poster on accurate shooter said that Permax gasket remover was great for this. Not sure how it would affect the chamber.
Wasn't much fun to clean! I used wet patches with BoreTech carbon cleaner to soak chamber neck and a tight nylon brush on short rod, rotated by an adjustable drill. Then used Iosso on a patch over the brush, to finish up. Scoped the chamber often, to check progress.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.