Does Lee need to make more collet dies available.

5If lee made more collet dies available what calibers?

• Total voters

whirlwindjml

I like my collet dies for necks with low runout and a body die or bushing die without the bushing for bump.

They make the basic calibers and have added .338 lapua and creedmoor to the mix but i think there is a market for some of the other newer stuff that seems to be sticking around. (260rem)prc) I have several that i would like to buy if they were available.

If there is interest I'll email the results with my inquiry.

Obviously they cant make money on wildcats so they would probably leave many peoples favorites to their custom orders.

I already have 260 collet dies, they are available now (there is a list of available calibers on their site). Agree they need to make more, how hard are they to make? 284 would be one I'd pick, 6.5-284 is another as well. I use them for every cartridge I own. Good point and post to bring up.

Some will mention that you can special order for caliber's not shown, this is true but for someone like myself it's just too many hoops to jump thru. You need to send them two fired pieces of brass and a bullet for the cartridge you want made, than sit back 8 weeks (this is current lead time listed on their website) and wait. Than they send you the collet die along with their seater die at factory list price along with shipping both ways. You have them keep the brass and bullet you sent but your still looking at $20. shipping total as well as $70. for the die set. So $90. plus tax and up to two months to get a simple collet die that natchez sells for $19. Sorry but not what I'm interested in going thru.

They do tell you that most AI cartridges should work in the neck collet die for the parent case. I was turned on to collet neck dies from two member's and posters on this site. I appreciate the advise and its been a game changer for me, I am quite interested in eliminating runout from my loads and this was the final step to that end. Regular mandrels don't support the case at all just open the neck up without outer case support. Runout is not so easily eliminated, case bump or FL sizing without spindle/expander is no problem as the collet will then size and finish the case neck.

Use what works for you, but in my case it was the simplest and easiest way to load concentric FL or neck sized ammo. Dave

Last edited:
I already have 260 collet dies, they are available now (there is a list of available calibers on their site). Agree they need to make more, how hard are they to make? 284 would be one I'd pick, 6.5-284 is another as well. I use them for every cartridge I own. Good point and post to bring up.

Some will mention that you can special order for caliber's not shown, this is true but for someone like myself it's just too many hoops to jump thru. You need to send them two fired pieces of brass and a bullet for the cartridge you want made, than sit back 8 weeks (this is current lead time listed on their website) and wait. Than they send you the collet die along with their seater die at factory list price along with shipping both ways. You have them keep the brass and bullet you sent but your still looking at $20. shipping total as well as $70. for the die set. So $90. plus tax and up to two months to get a simple collet die that natchez sells for $19. Sorry but not what I'm interested in going thru.

They do tell you that most AI cartridges should work in the neck collet die for the parent case. I was turned on to collet neck dies from two member's and posters on this site. I appreciate the advise and its been a game changer for me, I am quite interested in eliminating runout from my loads and this was the final step to that end. Regular mandrels don't support the case at all just open the neck up without outer case support. Runout is not so easily eliminated, case bump or FL sizing without spindle/expander is no problem as the collet will then size and finish the case neck.

Use what works for you, but in my case it was the simplest and easiest way to load concentric FL or neck sized ammo. Dave
Yes. Its a hassle for the custom order when some of these are a basic staple now. I added the 6.5x284 to the poll
And removed .260
Thanks

Yes
I like my collet dies for necks with low runout and a body die or bushing die without the bushing for bump.

They make the basic calibers and have added .338 lapua and creedmoor to the mix but i think there is a market for some of the other newer stuff that seems to be sticking around. (260rem)prc) I have several that i would like to buy if they were available.

If there is interest I'll email the results with my inquiry.

Obviously they cant make money on wildcats so they would probably leave many peoples favorites to their custom orders.
Yes, they do need to make more. 7mm stw & 6.5 prc. I can't figure out how to cast my vote.

Sorry your poll didn't work, I was staying quiet cause I thought it was me not able to figure it out :) I think they are a game changer for someone reloading but that's just me. They don't need someone to send them brass to develop new cartridge die's just the desire to do so. You would think staying up with the current new cartridges would be a no-brainer but they aren't too quick to add new available die's. Oh well someone will copy them at some point and add some competition to the mix. I got two more coming friday so I'll be set, if you use them put a slight bit of lube on the collet so it don't wear a ring around it with time and enjoy one more step toward precise reloading. :)

My final list would include 22 creedmore, 6.5PRC, and 284.

Last edited:
Long live the Forster full length dies with their high mounted floating expanders and extremely low neck runout.
They do not leave speed bumps on your case necks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Long live the Forster full length dies with their high mounted floating expanders and extremely low neck runout.
They do not leave speed bumps on your case necks,
I have some forster stuff i like as well.
As far as speed bumps..... I don't have nothing on mine that shows up on a dial indicator.
I also rotate the case 1/8 turn and give it another little squeeze.

Sorry your poll didn't work, I was staying quiet cause I thought it was me not able to figure it out :) I think they are a game changer for someone reloading but that's just me. They don't need someone to send them brass to develop new cartridge die's just the desire to do so. You would think staying up with the current new cartridges would be a no-brainer but they aren't too quick to add new available die's. Oh well someone will copy them at some point and add some competition to the mix. I got two more coming friday so I'll be set, if you use them put a slight bit of lube on the collet so it don't wear a ring around it with time and enjoy one more step toward precise reloading. :)

My final list would include 22 creedmore, 6.5PRC, and 284.
So..i have no prc brass yet but found a .264 win brass. I was able to shove it in the creedmoor collet quit a way just fiddling around.

If my math is correct the prc is .1242 longer at the point where the neck meets the shoulder. Couldnt a guy run the shelholder up to the die and use an 1/8th or .1250 drill bit between the die/shelholder as a spacer and test to c if the prc neck could be done in the creedmoor collet?

Anyone want to try for me?😃

My creed die looks like it could be opend up a little as well.

I have some forster stuff i like as well.
As far as speed bumps..... I don't have nothing on mine that shows up on a dial indicator.
I also rotate the case 1/8 turn and give it another little squeeze.
Couldn't have said it better so quoted it instead.

You can open up collet dies some if added clearance is needed, they are generous on room. Length difference is the biggest hurdle. I'm still getting used to the feel of the collet closing on the case neck each time. I rotate the case in the collet twice and the case in the forster seater three positions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.