Does Lee need to make more collet dies available.

5If lee made more collet dies available what calibers?

• Total voters
I called Lee asking about collet neck die for 6.5 PRC. They said they have no plans to make them commercially available, but as we all know, it comes down to demand.

They likely do not have the luxury of staying on top of assessing market demand in real time, so the more folks that email them, the quicker they are likely to see that actual pent up demand exists. Take action and make your voice heard!

I called Lee asking about collet neck die for 6.5 PRC. They said they have no plans to make them commercially available, but as we all know, it comes down to demand.

They likely do not have the luxury of staying on top of assessing market demand in real time, so the more folks that email them, the quicker they are likely to see that actual pent up demand exists. Take action and make your voice heard!
Im think in i can get some other calibers to work in the same die. They have instructions fo Ackley stuff for example.

Sometimes Lee can be hard to talk to. I made them aware that for every 10 collet dies they sell, Redding probably sells 6 or more body dies. I asked why they would not make them as well and even include it is a separate set. Their answer was if I wanted a body die they would make one for me. Go figure

So for the 4 of us that use collets on the necks😄....

Had to much coffee and went to the bench. My friend left a couple of 264 brass so I had to borrow it for my experiment. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor collet neck size die sit in the RCBS press. Lee says two full turns down after touching the shell holder .check. according to the reamer prints .326 length difference. So I backed the die until I could fit a size p drill bit head underneath the lock ring. Then hold the die in place with my hand and skrew the lock ring down.

Long story short it looks like success. I did need to back the die off a little bit so I wasn't crimping into the shoulder. The reason I had to use the lock ring as the spacer because the shell holder was up into the press and I couldn't get the drill bit under that part by using the dies this way.

With this said I think I can skip the custom order and probably use 6.5 PRC brass in the Creedmoor die by using the eighth inch bit as a starting point for adjustment. I won't know until I get my brass but I think it's going to work so I guess Lee can put that in there $70 custom pipe and smoke it.

So for the 4 of us that use collets on the necks😄....

Had to much coffee and went to the bench. My friend left a couple of 264 brass so I had to borrow it for my experiment. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor collet neck size die sit in the RCBS press. Lee says two full turns down after touching the shell holder .check. according to the reamer prints .326 length difference. So I backed the die until I could fit a size p drill bit head underneath the lock ring. Then hold the die in place with my hand and skrew the lock ring down.

Long story short it looks like success. I did need to back the die off a little bit so I wasn't crimping into the shoulder. The reason I had to use the lock ring as the spacer because the shell holder was up into the press and I couldn't get the drill bit under that part by using the dies this way.

With this said I think I can skip the custom order and probably use 6.5 PRC brass in the Creedmoor die by using the eighth inch bit as a starting point for adjustment. I won't know until I get my brass but I think it's going to work so I guess Lee can put that in there $70 custom pipe and smoke it.
Good to hear it might work....let us know! I also emailed them a couple months ago about custom collet dies.....because you know they don't make collet dies the latest and greatest calibers that the rest of the industry is making all kinds of things for....but $70 and a few pieces of brass is what they wanted. You would think a universal collet die could be made but I have no idea how it functions and I've never used one so, might be a stupid thought, but I've heard nothing but good things about a lees collet die.

They are simple to the max, wait till you take one apart and look at it. That's why they are caliber not cartridge specific. It appear's to be a length thing almost every time so spacing would be the answer. It's why they will work on AI cartridge's because of the room around the neck that's built in. They could make one for pretty much any cartridge and send it to you but they don't want to. They could also stay up with current newer chambering's but again don't bother to. Guess they do fine making the one's they choose to make, and the lockring's they give you with them are best for throwing at squirrel's that get in your bird feeder :), they don't lock. They do have it rigged to make a good profit if you choose to play by their rules and have them "special made" I've got the ones I need now and they got real lockring's replaced on them.

They are simple to the max, wait till you take one apart and look at it. That's why they are caliber not cartridge specific. It appear's to be a length thing almost every time so spacing would be the answer. It's why they will work on AI cartridge's because of the room around the neck that's built in. They could make one for pretty much any cartridge and send it to you but they don't want to. They could also stay up with current newer chambering's but again don't bother to. Guess they do fine making the one's they choose to make, and the lockring's they give you with them are best for throwing at squirrel's that get in your bird feeder :), they don't lock. They do have it rigged to make a good profit if you choose to play by their rules and have them "special made" I've got the ones I need now and they got real lockring's replaced on them.
Good to know....so in your experience/expertise, if I would get a collet die for whatever they offer for a .22 based caliber I could use it for any .22 as long as I set it up correctly and same for all other calibers.......243, .264, .308 ect.?
I have a forester co-ax and their lock rings.....so I have lock rings covered! Redding lock rings suck also, forester or Hornady lock rings are pretty good.

If I was going to do multiple in 30 cal i would use .308 die (shorter) and then look at the sammi case head to neck measurments for say the .300 win and subract to get the difference and then youll be close.

Doing it that way will allow a feeler gauge (drill bit for me) spacer. .512 difference on a 300wm in a 308 die. So 1/2" bit (.512 between die and shellholder) would get close and probly back the die out 2 turns extra for first test.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.