Does Coppermelt clean to good?

winmagman

I got my little silver bottle in the mail on Thurs. and of course had to try it out on a rifle right away. Just like everybody says it is truly amazing stuff, cleans easily and completely.
However, the instuctions say after cleaning just dry patch the bore and not to oil unless storing the gun. Now if this stuff cleans down to bare metal as it appears to, wouldn't it contribute to barrel wear firing rounds down an unoiled bare metal barrel?
Maybe I'm over-anylizing this because this stuff just seems to good to be true. Lets hear some opinions please.
Chris

It's sort of hard to imagine what kind of oil would stand-up to the high temp of the powder gases anyway? I know this is an old debate. Dry bore verses oiled bore. Having shot and worn out barrels both ways I can't tell the difference in barrel life. However, ever since I got this Hawk-eye bore scope in 1996, I have proved (at least to myself) The barrels do seem to clean faster when I start with the unoiled bore. For what that's worth? I use to be a great believer in Kroil, REM-OIL etc. Now with the bore-scope I'm not as sure. Like I said this is just my findings. Heck I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there that will tell you different. Question like you ask are the kind I ask the barrel makers, and I already know there answers. "Don't shoot with a dry bore". See the old debate just won't die!

I'm a shooter. My guns don't sit very long without being fired. I have shot them oiled and dry. Some I can see helps with fouling if oiled, others no difference. Coppermelt directions seem to be pretty trustworthy in my opinion.

Montana Extreme sells a "Bore Conditioner" that I use. Seems to work like Kroil to protect a dry bore, but you do not get the wide first shot variance like Kroil or any other type of lubricant.

Sinclair sells it for $6.50 4oz bottle and lasts long time. 800-717-8211

BH

I apparently missed the thread on the copper melt. Would someone please direct me? I'm curious about it but didn't want to start a new thread unless necessary. Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
I apparently missed the thread on the copper melt. Would someone please direct me? I'm curious about it but didn't want to start a new thread unless necessary. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ] Go to EQUIPMENT REVIEWS. The post is under "Had it with chemical solvents not working" P.S. Lots of info on this product! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3sixbits
Thanks for the info. I really wasn't trying to start any debate, just trying to figure out whats best for my guns.

gg
I'm envious, I'm lucky if I can get mine out twice a month. Wasn't knocking Coppermelt, the stuff is awesome, I'd just hate to think I was wearing out a barrel any faster than needed.

BH
Thanks for the bore conditioner tip. I've got some stuff called Smooth Kote/BP 2000 that is supposed to do the same thing. Mike Rock (Rock Creek Barrels) gave it to me with my last barrel. He said the worst thing you could do to a barrel was fire rounds down a bare bore. But that was in a barrel break in conversation. Just trying to find out if the same applies after a barrel is broken in.
Chris

Winmagman: I would like to point out to you an unusual occurrence I had. I was breaking in a new Lilja barrel and had left my break in prep at the shop. Rather than packing everything backup and going back to the shop, I had some BREAKFREE in the cleaning can and so I used it for the break in. This barrel broke in have the normal time it's ever taken using my old recipe! I have since been using it in place of all my usual, Butch's, Shooters Choice etc. NO it does not get the copper out! When you use the Copper Melt it takes even less work to (fewer stokes) remove the copper. Something I have tried that is a little different, I'm not using the nylon brushes to wrap a patch around. I had a can of a coating for tools in the shop that you dip the part to gives a rubber like coating. Well I took a slotted tip for a Dewey rod and dipped it. Being as how I've got 1000's of the old thick coarse patches on hand, I have been using them instead of the tee shirt patches. I still follow up using the 91% alcohol patches and dry patch on a jag tipped, separate Dewey rod. I don't know if this will help anybody else, but when you have a couple of cases of 1000 pack patches on hand a guy has got to save the bacon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.