does bullet speed change with altitude

pressman

i just spent one week in Sheridan Wyoming doing some long range shooting.
i live in southern Indiana and i was wondering a few things.
i have a custom 260
i zeroed it here in indiana 750 above sea level at 100 yards.
my light loads were a light 2706fps with 139 gr Lapua bullets
i was having trouble with a drop chart being correct when i arrived. the altitude their was 4230 above sea level and i was just wondering was my speed of my bullet different their than here in indiana?
out their this was my actual moa on my scope that i dialed.
500-8.5 moa
600=12.5 moa
700= 16.5 moa
800= 19 moa
1200=39moa
1400-=49.5 moa
My exball was really close but i was wanting to build a drop chart for here in indiana to mount inside my scope covers but i could not get it to match by putting in the data verses what i was actually getting in the field.
any help would be great.
also while i was their i was hitting a 3' foot target at 1975 yards ( with a 50 cal.)
we had a great week.

A change in temperature could cause a change is muzzle velocity.

What your experiencing is most likely air density changes. I generally track that with my Brunton (you can use some Kestrels), using a calculation called Density Altitude. If you just use the elevation and temperature, you're missing one big value .... pressure. Here is a write up:

Barometric Pressure and Ballistic Software

I generally shoot at 330'. It's not uncommon for my Density Altitude to read -500' in the winter, while getting to 2500' in the summer.

Last edited:
I'd agree with Rijndael.

I shoot through variable air densities that occasionally dip below sea level (certain days at Quantico) to air densities that approach 6,000'.

With your .260 (I shoot a .260 and a 6.5-284), it would not surprise me to see you experience 2-3 moa variation in impact at even 1,000 yards between extremes like this. Air density is substantially affected by altitude, temperature and barometric pressure and a certain combination of these factors could cause unexpected misses.

I too monitor Density Altitude, which I use in conjunction with ballistic tables run at various altitudes. I simply check the environmental factors and turn to the correct chart.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.