Does bullet size and velocity matter?

Ohlongarm

Not in this case , 85 yards right between the eyes , CCI Velocitor out of my Tikka T1X, DRT , I got up close and personal looking through the 16 X scope.

Attachments

• bte.jpg
    bte.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 156
Ohlongarm , you do some fine shooting sir . If every body hit them with that much accuracy not a one of us would need to figure out if it made any difference for our use either .

Ohlongarm , you do some fine shooting sir . If every body hit them with that much accuracy not a one of us would need to figure out if it made any difference for our use either .
Thank you for the kind words, however I'm doing nothing that anyone else can't it's called practice until you get it down. Missing is not an option, I will entertain, but practice and good equipment definitely helps one stay on top of their game. I never take a varmint rifle out until I can hit a golf ball squarely at 200 yards, every time , ideal conditions mind you, benched solid etc, but it helps. My 22's are sighted dead on at 100 yards, and only head or neck shots taken on coyotes with it. Golf ball shown here hit squarely at 100 yards the smudge mark is entrance, the bullet exited out the top.

Attachments

• gb1.jpg
    gb1.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 106
Not only practice you have to remain calm as you are shooting the coyote and that takes time spent doing it with the coyote and why we have what is called buck fever and poorly hit animals . Good equipment won't do it on it's own as practice at the bench won't either if you can't remain calm and steady in the field . People tell me I'm a cold hearted person because I don't get excited when I shoot coyote ( I do I just control it as you do .

Not only practice you have to remain calm as you are shooting the coyote and that takes time spent doing it with the coyote and why we have what is called buck fever and poorly hit animals . Good equipment won't do it on it's own as practice at the bench won't either if you can't remain calm and steady in the field . People tell me I'm a cold hearted person because I don't get excited when I shoot coyote ( I do I just control it as you do .
Being in LE, calm and steady is a survival tool, now, I will readily admit, I've killed well into the hundreds as far as coyotes are concerned.
Not denigrating those who've killed less or none just stating facts. What, I meant to say every coyote from the first till the most recent, they've all got my heart rate up, why's that who knows, but as you've stated if you don't stay calm you lost the coyote guaranteed.

Nice shot. Turned that switch 'off'.
Thank you here's another that met the same fate, this one was taken at 105 yards with a 77/22 suppressed Ruger bolt action rifle using a 42 grain Winchester subsonic round , the ones made in Australia. A nice hole left side no exit, the picture was taken in the rear of a taxidermists place of business , they buy several from me in the dead of winter, they skin them, and pay me.

Attachments

• hs.jpg
    hs.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 97
Another light switch turned off. 22 CCI Velocitor DRT stick marks entrance lots of eggs scrambled here.

Attachments

• 223.jpg
    223.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 89
Interesting , you are running a 40 gr. bullet at 1435 MV with a BC of 125 . I have some Winchester red box that say they are loaded the same wonder what they would do out of my Ruger 10-22 . I've killed a lot of coyote in snares and traps with it and my revolver , but never used it when calling here .

Interesting , you are running a 40 gr. bullet at 1435 MV with a BC of 125 . I have some Winchester red box that say they are loaded the same wonder what they would do out of my Ruger 10-22 . I've killed a lot of coyote in snares and traps with it and my revolver , but never used it when calling here .
This was shot over bait 90% of coyotes shot with either the Tikka T1X or the Ruger 77/22 suppressed are over bait. I have way more time over bait than I do when calling , as you would know.

Being cold? No, I do not think so.
Myself, I stay calm and steady. i have tracked down animals others have wounded. Looked at the frightened animal and dispatched it. Not my favorite thing to do, but I won't let a wounded animal suffer.
My father only allowed me to have one in the chamber, the rest in a sock in my pocket.
I stay calm because I want to have the animal drop in its tracks, and not to feel anything, hopefully.