Does anyone hunt with 22-250 anymore?

I just started some 22-250 loading today, prairie dogging rounds. I'm in the middle of case prepping. It will be 50 grain frangible bullets, haven't settled on a powder yet.

I usually load mine above 223 levels, but a fair bit below max, much easier on the brass & next resizing.

I just started some 22-250 loading today, prairie dogging rounds. I'm in the middle of case prepping. It will be 50 grain frangible bullets, haven't settled on a powder yet.

I usually load mine above 223 levels, but a fair bit below max, much easier on the brass & next resizing.
love to hear how your load development goes. What bullets?

I normally load 50 grain bullets in my custom 1/14" 22-250. I have a cheap Savage Axis I bought new for $194 also. Right now Speer & Midway factory 2nds are on the bench, haven't decided yet.

I have a bunch of suitable powders, a few versions of 4064, Varget, Hunter, then always plenty of H-4895.

I normally load 50 grain bullets in my custom 1/14" 22-250. I have a cheap Savage Axis I bought new for $194 also. Right now Speer & Midway factory 2nds are on the bench, haven't decided yet.

I have a bunch of suitable powders, a few versions of 4064, Varget, Hunter, then always plenty of H-4895.
Mine are 14 twist as well. I have some 40, 50 and 52 grain bullets I plan on trying

I guess what I'm trying to say is your 1-14" don't shoot boat tail bullets well try some flat based bullets. For awhile mine shot 50 gr-to 55 gr Ballistic Tips okay, just over 1 moa. Then it got burned out and 1.5 moa was about the best it could shoot those. At that point even 40 gr vmax didn't shoot all that well. By dumb luck I had those flat based Bergers sitting in my collection. I shot them on a whim and they grouped well. dumped a 584 yard chuck with them and then pulled the barrel.

In a couple of Predator calling clubs in S. Ca. years ago, there were 40% of the membership used mostly Rem 700s in 22/250. The bullets of choice was the 55g Sierra spt, 55g Sierra bthp, 55g & 50g Nosler ballistic tips.
H380, Win 760, and H414 were the most popular powders, with IMR 4064 and 4895 showing well.

When we did not have a Monthly Club hunt, we would gather at the rifle range to break in the new guys and verify zero. In the club, there were usually at least 6 of us that could reload in the camper shell of our pickups. When a new barrel was put on a gun, it was a great time to socialize and help the guy develop loads on the spot. The owner would shoot, while another member reloaded. 1/2" groups at 200 yards was the goal.

When the barrel was shot out, EVERYONE went with a 12 Twist 22/250 AI, with the 55's doing 4050 fps and 60g Bergers at 3700-3800 fps.

Last edited:
We still hunt with it. I tend to stick with my quiet .308 and bow. But my kids (11 and 15) still love those 22-250's. The cheap Remington 55gr PSP work great on our hill country deer and those big South Tx bucks as well. In my younger days I guided for and helped manage several ranches around Texas. I've killed over a thousand deer with a 22-250. Back then I loaded a lot, and usually went with 55gr Game Kings or even Blitz Kings. It did not seem to matter as far as on-game performance. It really is a great round.

Years ago I used to have a Remington 700 chambered in 22-250 that I shot a lot of prairie dogs with. Time went by and the rifle was rechambered in a different caliber and forgotten about. Recently while going through and old ammo box I came across some loaded 22-250 rounds and that got me to thinking about how much I had enjoyed the round. Now I am thinking about getting a barrel chambered in 22-250 or maybe another rifle in that caliber. Time to start saving some coins for another project I guess
Have always liked 22-250 but wanted one with 7 or 8 twist to shoot heavier bullets. One company has finally made one with 8 twist. One on the way now. If this Tikka T3 works as planned i will be using it deer hunting since i have become recoil sensitive. Older and arthur are taking their toll. Still love shooting and hunting and compete in rimfire matches at our club and shoot at least once a week when i can.

Years ago I used to have a Remington 700 chambered in 22-250 that I shot a lot of prairie dogs with. Time went by and the rifle was rechambered in a different caliber and forgotten about. Recently while going through and old ammo box I came across some loaded 22-250 rounds and that got me to thinking about how much I had enjoyed the round. Now I am thinking about getting a barrel chambered in 22-250 or maybe another rifle in that caliber. Time to start saving some coins for another project I guess
They are a great round for hunting Blacktail deer

For anyone with a decent action looking to get it rebarreled, I recommend sending it to Shilen Rifles.
They will rebarrel it in .22-250 in your choice of twist rates and barrel profiles, head space it and return ship it for $600.00 or so.
I had a good Rem 700 SA action and they put a .22-250 bull barrel on it 224 cal, 1 in 12 twist 26" FL with Savage barrel nut, glass peened finish on the barrel with return shipping for $664.00. I've yet to shoot it, but it's a beaut!
It went back in the McMillan A-5 stock with the Jewel trigger. It weighs in at 12 lbs! Not a field gun for sure.
I'm undecided on the optic at this point, but probably a 4.5 to 14 or a 6 to 18, nothing crazy expensive.
20230420_134010.jpg

20230420_134043.jpg

Last edited: