Does anyone have reloading table for .250 Savage?

TheHabMan

I have a almost 30 year old Winchester M70 in .250 Savage that hasn't had a box of ammo run through it yet. The problem is I cannot find either ammo or loading table for it.

Couldn't even find brass, so I reformed some .22-250 I had laying around.

It is a sweet shooting gun and I would really like to work up some loads for it, I just need starting points.

Anyone reloading for the 250 Savage out there?

You may PM CliffM about the 250 Savage, I know he's got loads for a number of bullets and powders, I burnt the first barrel of his when I was a kid :D

Thanks FearNoWind and bigngreen!

I did about a 100 different Google searches and the Hodgdon site never came up.

I did forget to mention that the .250 Savage is also known as the .250-3000 as it was the first to drive a 80gr bullet if I remember correctly 3000 fps.

I'll try CliffM also to get his take on starting points.

Thanks again!

Don't know why you can't find load data all my loading manuals have it. Sierra, Hornady, Lyman, Accurate. Go to the powder companies website for data and look for 250-3000 Savage. For 87 gr through 117 gr bullets IMR4064 has long been THE powder. 87gr for varmints and 100 gr for deer size game will do great.

I have old manuals, late 70s vintage that do have some data, however nothing on the new powders and heavier bullets that are now available.

I had searched online and found very little and the newer loading manuals have dropped it completely.

It is really an orphaned cartridge now as I think the last new rifles chambered for it were made over 20 years ago.

I know the Model 70 Lightweight carbine I have was produced between 84 and 87 and it wasn't a big production run for the .250 Savage, however I cannot find the actual number that were manufactured.

I bought mine at a deep discount in the early 90s after it had sat on the shelf for a long time. He claimed he sold it below cost and I would believe that as it was under $300 I liked the idea of a .25 cal lightweight carbine as a deer rifle.

It is a sweet shooter from the little I have seen and I now have a bit more time to tinker with it, so I decided to pull it out of the safe. Little did I know the issues finding ammo or even brass for it.

Thanks for the reply RT2506

I have been using h 414 in our rifles with 100 gr nos bt and 117 bergers bullets both are modern bolt action rifles with 1in 10 twist, I have also used rl 17 but I don't know where I got the data but it looks like it is close to the 414 loads in my rifle, if I had more of it and a source to get it I would be trying some h 4350

Hab Man,
The most success that I have had is with 100gr bullets(take your choice) and RL15.
My suggestion is to start with 34gr and work up. The Max for my rifle is 36gr.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

Morning, Go to Handloads.com or reload bench.com
I have custom 250 26" Octogon barrel, Win. 70 short action, same wood and trigger. Really fun to shoot very good on deer
250 savage
Nosler bal. tip 100gr. 100gr. match grade sierra
W- 760 same as H414 39.0grs. I like W-760 flows very good thru my rcbs 1500. burn very cleangun)
2850fps col 2.515

just country

Last edited:
I have been loading for a .250 Savage for many years. This is one of my favorites. I have a custom built 95 Mauser that I shoot Sierra 117 using IMR 4831 and Barnes 80 TTSX with Ramshot Big Game. My rifle likes the Barnes bullet with Big Game the best with 3 shots under .5" and the Sierra's will put 3 shots just under 1" at 100 yards. Although I have taken more Deer with the Sierra bullet. I never lost a Deer and never recoverd a bullet they always pass completely through. My longest shot was 235 yards.

Thanks for the info Lone Hunter.

I have a Ruger Model 77 in .25-06 however it is a much longer heavier rifle, although it is pretty much unbeatable for open ground hunting as it shoots as flat as anything I've ever used.

The 250 Savage is more for hunting in more wooded areas as its compactness is a big advantage.