Does anyone have experence with the 30 cal, 178 gr A-Maxs...

CatShooter

... on small to medium game at 1000 to 1200 yards.

Need some feedback on terminal performance when launched at around 3000fps. (300WM)

Game is Antelope and other 100 to 150-ish pound, thin skinned, small boned game.

CatShooter.

I have a friend that used them last deer season. He shoots a 300wm at 3000 with that bullet. I know because I loaded them for him. He shot his deer at 380 yards and the bullet never exited. After we looked for the bullet we found the jacket on the far shoulder. There was no lead left in the jacket. But it destroyed both lungs and the heart. I have never seen a deer go down so fast. So I think for antelope you should not have any problems. Let me know if you try them and the end result.

I loaded some for a friends 'o6 for wisconsin white tail hunting. He shot a deer at about 125 yds and it went down quickly. I don't have an "autopsy report" but remember he also said there was no exit wound.--My bet would be they are built about as tough as a ballistic tip--maybe even slightly lighter. He did say it shot very very accurate.

It does a REAL GOOD job on groundhogs at 3250 fps from my 300 Wby.I haven't shot any real far, maybe about 600 yds.You might call it overkill. Ha,Ha. Jay

I've shot deer with the 168gr , very messy
they are lighter than the Balistic tip , I consider them real big V-max bullets.
I'm hopeing to try them in a 308 Warbird soon
as a very long range varmint round.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.