Does anyone ever have your shotgun fitted to you?

Agreed. Gunsmithing is a real issue in some states as there are not a lot of good fitters around anymore. We used to have one here in our neck of the woods but when the Sporting Clays started to die down here so did the gunsmithing, at least on the shotgun fitting side. I was very lucky, I bought a Browning 525 and was able to adapt the stock myself with a few modifications. The cast was good so I only had to mess with the length of pull and and angle of the butt pad. Very inexpensive fix and it fits wonderfully. Onthe other side of that coin I have a friend that has a twist in his buttstock that would blow your mind to change the cast and it cost him a fortune. Honestly when I was shooting a lot I wouldn't have cared how much it cost. For guys that just want to ocassionally shoot clays or hunt with the shotgun there are so many options out there that do have interchangeable stocks with shims that change length of pull and cast that you should be able to find one that at least gets ya close.

Agreed. Gunsmithing is a real issue in some states as there are not a lot of good fitters around anymore. We used to have one here in our neck of the woods but when the Sporting Clays started to die down here so did the gunsmithing, at least on the shotgun fitting side. I was very lucky, I bought a Browning 525 and was able to adapt the stock myself with a few modifications. The cast was good so I only had to mess with the length of pull and and angle of the butt pad. Very inexpensive fix and it fits wonderfully. Onthe other side of that coin I have a friend that has a twist in his buttstock that would blow your mind to change the cast and it cost him a fortune. Honestly when I was shooting a lot I wouldn't have cared how much it cost. For guys that just want to ocassionally shoot clays or hunt with the shotgun there are so many options out there that do have interchangeable stocks with shims that change length of pull and cast that you should be able to find one that at least gets ya close.
Exactly. Assuming they actually know what they need

EXCELLENT advice!! If the gun fits you well you will shoot better, end of story. I've read of stock bending with heat and oil on an O/U. With a pump or auto fitting is relatively easy with shims and or recoil pad change for LOP.
A tool that everyone has is a drinking straw that can be taped temporarily to top of rib. Throw the gun up and close the off eye and see if all your seeing is front bead. It has been useful for most shooters I know.
I always get this done when restocking a shotgun. Andrew Mcfarlane a London trained Smith does at least 50 or so a year.

About 20 years ago got fitted for shotguns in traverse City Michigan it's called fieldsports Brian belinsky is a trained gunfitter he was trained in England and worked for orvis for years now has his own shop. Looks like you're in Tennessee might be worth the trip if you're really want a true fitting could hunt grouse and fly fish while you're up there...MHO

Wenig Custom Gunstocks
Lincoln MO
Had two done. Good work, good price, good service.
All true and next door to Tenn. Using good wood the bill would run several times the cost of his gun though. They did one for a friend a couple of years ago. He went from B class to AA that year. His gun was a K80. He got nice wood and it was about $5k all in. Used to be a gunfitter guy that traveled to shoots out of Mississippi. His business was called the country gentleman if memory serves. Haven't seen him around in awhile. He may be done... Google? I'll bet wenig is closest to him.

You may know Richard Patty, he's a past champion clays shooter. I load ammo for him now. I had a 20 gauge I picked up cheap. Not a great gun but solid field gun. Comb was way high for me and I was asking him about it. He said sand it down till it fits. It took a belt sander to the stock and then refinished it. Friend I had helping me was stunned. I said its a piece of wood.

I have been meaning to, but I have not. I will add this. All my friends that shoot sporting clays in the high 90's, have all had their chotguns patterned and fitted. In fact its the first thing they do with a new shotgun.

I have been meaning to, but I have not. I will add this. All my friends that shoot sporting clays in the high 90's, have all had their chotguns patterned and fitted. In fact its the first thing they do with a new shotgun.
Don't expect instant miracles. Most coaches say it takes 5k rounds to get used to a new competition shotgun. Having your current one fitted may shorten that some, but usually not by a lot, if any. In my experience they are right, but it takes even more rounds more than not. I truly believe gun fit and a good coach are necessary to compete at the top levels. When I switched to a Kolar it was late in the season before I won anything with it. People make their own luck in competition and the only way you can buy high scores is to spend a lot of money on powder, and burn every grain of it exactly the way your coach told you to do it. Every practice shot, one at a time, no playing. My coach once told me that most birds that are missed are missed before they are ever called for. This is SO true. Work on your preshot routine, and clear your mind before calling for the bird, then concentrate on the bird. Make it the same for every bird. That alone will pick up some birds for you. Get your gun fitted, and get a GOOD coach. This is NOT the guys you are shooting with. Do exactly what he says and use the money you saved to buy powder.