Does anyone else think RL17 smells like coconut?

Oliveralan

Just wondering if anyone else's RL17 smells like coconut... Or If there's something wrong with mine :D

also, for those who are interested, tomorrow at 8pm eastern I will have posted an official update on RL17 in the .308win.

Trebark and I are going shooting tomorrow, I will be breaking in my new custom .308 with a 28" hart tube tomorrow. Will mainly be shooting 208gr a-maxs backed by RL17, but depending on accuracy I may try some others. We will have a chronograph and camera to document findings for anyone who is interested.

If all goes well, I will be shooting this at quantico Sunday.

-Oliver

I am not sure if it smells like coconut, I didn''t really disect its smell, but I did notice that RL-17 does have a very distinct odor. My buddy shooting next to me was complaining every time I touched off a round from my 300WSM. He said it stinks! It was getting good velocity and good groups so it could smell like dog poop for all I care!

Agreed, I'm shooting 208gr pills from my .308 with it. Didn't get to chrono my rounds today, will try tomorrow. I was shooting in 17degree weather in a snow storm (less than ideal, since I forgot my gloves), but I wanted to shoot, so I did.

Smell it again, i seriously believe it smells like coconut.

This thread is just a lol joke but also a spot to discuss RL17.

What kind of velocity are you getting with your 300wsm? I wonder if it works in a 300wm... Anyone try this? Or can someone Quickload it?

I am getting about 3180 fps avg out of my 300 short with 168 gr TSX on a charge of 67.3gr. That give me an 1.5 group at 200 yds. I am going to work up a load with 168gr Bergers here in the future. Also tossing around the idea of working up a load with 180 gr ABs. On another thread they seem to be a favorite of "shorty" shooters.
I have done sighting shots, fouling shots and grouping shots. Not yet have I done a "smelling" shot! Next time I am out I will give it a good whiff and see if it reminds me of sitting on a beach somewhere sipping a Pina Colada.

I haven't actually smelled it while shooting, I mean while reloading. But I'll try that too! :D I have a ton of load work up to do today anyways

I have to admit you got my curiosity up and I went down stairs and popped open my can and gave it a wuff. There was only a scant amount left and could not tell. No hint of coconut though. You sure you weren't pickin your nose after slappin on some Hawian Tropic?:DJKJK.

You can bet now you have this in my mind I will be taking a sniff to see with my next new can.

By the way mtelkhntr, I am getting right at 3180 with 66 grains of 17 and 168 grain TSX's in my 300 wsm. It is a very accurate load. I also have real good accuracy results with my 270 wsm but have yet to do any good chrony testing with the 270 wsm.

Has anyone tried 17 with 6.5 Creedmoor yet?

Southwind, that's exactly the point of the thread :D My can is new so that could be why it smells like it does. Just took another wiff, and IMO it smells like cocnut just like it did last weekend.

That's some pretty sweet performance from your 300wsm. My 308 shoots the 208 a-maxs good, hopefully will chrono next weekend if my buddy and I can meet up and go shoot together (he has a chrono, I don't). There's a definate difference between shooting 168smks with 45grs of varget and then swapping to these 208s with 48grains of RL17. They'll wake you up alright. Just noticed how sore my shoulder was carrying my bag at school today...

You made me go down stairs to sniff mine and I got to say it slightly reminds me of the smell of Malibou Coconut rum..maybe that is the secret ingredient.:Dlightbulb

Hmm I knew I knew the smell from coconut something... :p now that i think about it, your probably right

Edit: forgot to ask, in what cartirdges are you using it? And how are the results?

mtelkhntr, That's a good one: "smelling shot":D I think if everyone is honest here then we'd all admit havin taken a smelling shot...that's when the huge magnum recoil knocks the fart out of ya. And don't anyboby respond with: ya that's happened but mine didn't smell...if ya can smell the coconut ya can smell the fart.:D. PS I'm not smelling any coconut, are you sure you didn't spill a drink into that.

Last edited:
Sure hope I didn't spill a drink into it.... Otherwise I'll have to spill the exact same amount of the same drink in my next patch. Since it shoots so good :D

Well it sure doesnt taste like coconut! I sprinkled some on my ice cream last night and I didnt really notice a difference at first. But I did notice it loosened things up "downstairs" when I went and sat on the can this morning. I installed a chrono inside my toilet got a consistent 3000 fps with some pretty bad signs of pressure! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts