Does and don't when buying from the classifieds

Tank308

What are your safety tips when buying from someone advertising in the classifieds. Especially high end stuff. Minimizing risk.

A phone call is usually enough. I like a pic of the item that isn't on the forum too.

When I sell I fully expect to get a phone call at some point. I'm almost always asked for an extra picture as well. I've sent less expensive things to a buyer in good standing with the expectation I'll be paid when it arrives.

It's a buyer beware world. I want some proof the thing exists and the seller intends on shipping it to me. I don't mind providing the same.

You can generally weed out the douchebags by simply looking at their post history and feedback or lack thereof. If they have no history, no post count or no feedback and they are buying, postal money order clears the post office and my bank before I ship, everyone else I usually ship before funds have been mailed. Most times, the money and the item are delivered the same day.

I have sold a lot of high priced goods in good faith, no questions asked. I would surely comply if asked if I wanted the sale.
I think a current right now pic with name, date & time card attached is a good idea, a phone call if needed.
I have sold high dollar scopes, custom guns, but selling a 350 buck baseball glove on Instagram almost soured me on ever listing again. I was new, no feedback. The guy was demanding, I told him 3 or 4 times, only 72 of these made, I don't need you. Just to move the glove, I took 10 bucks off and made the deal.

I do quite a bit of business in the classifieds here and ALL OF THE ABOVE are good suggestions/tips. However, I rely heavily on the following suggestions/tips the most….

has been on the forum for awhile , and has some history replying to different threads . has good feedback . my big money transactions included a phone call .
I think a current right now pic with name, date & time card attached is a good idea, a phone call if needed.

What are your safety tips when buying from someone advertising in the classifieds. Especially high end stuff. Minimizing risk.
Deal only with outstanding LRH members; "I" rely heavily on feedback to alleviate/minimize risk. As noted, two-way communication is a must for the transaction to be favorable for both the buyer and seller. There are lots of good people here, so trust and respect are honorable traits. My preferred payments are personal checks and USPS MO; the buyer and seller need to agree upon this.

I'll only do a face to face on high dollar items. If not, I'll typically order it new from a vendor where I can use a credit card so I have some recourse.