Does a new scope company come out every week now?

DJ Fergus

I really shouldn't be complaining and I'm really not but I saw two new scope brands that I had never heard of this week and it seem like they just keep coming. I guess it's a good thing that there's so many options but now I'm thinking: ok what's the name of the new optics company that's going to come out next week?

So which one is it? You post about wanting a scope company to come out with a new sub 20 ounce reliable scope, but then post about new scope companies.
Sorry I'm not following your rants, but please carry on.

So which one is it? You post about wanting a scope company to come out with a new sub 20 ounce reliable scope, but then post about new scope companies.
Sorry I'm not following your rants, but please carry on.
Neither posts are rants, just statements. Why does everything have to be a rant?
I will let those new companies gain their own steam. Do you have an issue with my posts?

I agree. I've slowed on buying new high end shooting equipment due to filling every current need. However, I can't even keep track of what's worth being interested in or which brand is of potential quality. My most recent purchase was a "blemished" close-out crimson trace 1-8 for a 223 AR fun gun.

There's only a few (3 or less I think) companies in Japan manufacturing/branding a higher tier of these scopes and optics for rebranding and all are of equally decent quality. My minimal understanding of the industry has me thinking that manufacturing must've gotten cheaper and some of these overseas companies are getting good at easily making what these new middle man companies want to release on the market.

I like picking up a ffp 34mm 1-8 for $400 when my research has lead me to believe high end brands in the optics game are being made in the same exact facility and charging much more. I might be completely wrong as some of the info I've read seems like hearsay, but I know less than ten years ago I bought a 3-9 sfp scope for $400, that performed nowhere near where this CT optic does. This shooting tech is fun and the competition only gives us consumers more options and better prices😀

I hear ya and it's hard to know how good or bad it is. When I first started using Vortex, I was amazed at the quality for the price. I believe they were made in Japan. But now, some of their glass is from China and it's hard to know if it is still of good quality. While I have bought some lower pricepoint Scopes, for serious shooting I'm still sticking to Nightforce and Kahles....

Having mid price optics options allows a lot more folks put their toes into the shallow end of the LR pool. Most will perform reasonably well for their use. I am glad more options are becoming available to get more shooters involved. The more involved only strengthens our sport. What is interesting is Nikon drops riflescopes and that hole is getting back filled fast!

China and some other countries are manufacturing many products including scopes and you can buy direct from them and slap any old brand name on it you wish. If you want a perfect example of this then look at almost any product on Amazon and look at all the different brands of that product. Sometimes there are upwards of 20 different brand names.

I prefer to look at where the products are made and if in the USA or Japan you're pretty much safe assuming the quality will be there and there will be someone available to provide warranty service when (not if) it breaks.

Also you want to make sure there is a warranty service center in the country you live in. This will become very important as you find yourself shipping your product off for service.

There is a very good reason companies like Leupold and Nightforce and several others get such a premium for their product.

I mean when the patent and designs are available online. And some third world country can grab and do whatever they want with them along with "some" Americas willing to pay less "thinking" they are getting the same thing... Welp... There ya go...