Does a muzzle brake need cleaning?

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
To me yes, how often and how clean or what method is another story.

There is at least a couple of similar post but did not want to hijack it. For what it is worth, I found the article below ...

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2019/09/yes-muzzle-brakes-need-regular-cleaning/

My muzzle brakes are nowhere close to the article's example. Below is one of mine and decided to clean it ...

MB cleaning 1 of 4.jpg
MB cleaning 2 of 4.jpg

Soaked it with water and lemi shine (~1/2 a TSP of lemi shine, just guessed it) for ~ 1 hour.

MB cleaning 3 of 4.jpg

The build-up comes off easily with a cotton swab.

MB cleaning 4 of 4.jpg

Share your real-world experience here and add to the knowledge base to the LRH community. You know the rules! Have fun with it. Cheers!

Ed

Last edited:

Ranger Rick

I bought a used muzzle break, and it was filthy. So that brake required intense cleanly. I prefer preventative maintenance and follow something like this link

Last edited:

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
I bought a used muzzle break was a used one, and it was filthy. So that brake required intense cleanly. I prefer preventative maintenance and follow something like this link
As noted, mine does not get too dirty, perhaps because I clean it shortly after each use. This is the first time I have used this method. In the past, I just use whatever solvent I use to clean the barrel, brush as required, and use cotton swabs.

nt7332

Try this, 50/50 mix or hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. Set it and forget it, well don’t forget it but have 2-3 beers and come back and scoop her up, clean as a whistle! Peroxide will boil the carbon out of brake.

Trending threads