Does a heavier bullet kill better?

BoomFlop

For purposes of this conversation, let's us the following situation:

308 Win 20" Barrel with 1-10 twist
125 gr Nosler Accubond - Muzzle Velocity of 3105 fps - Muzzle Energy of 2676 ft.lbs.
vs
150 gr Nosler Accubond - Muzzle Velocity of 2805 fps - Muzzle Energy of 2621 ft.lbs.

Let's say the range of the shot is not effected by BC difference and accuracy is the same. Shot placement being the same (I know impact is different), but regardless of high shoulder or lungs.

Which one will be more effect on game and why do you believe that?

Thank you,
Steve

Heavy for caliber with some fragmentation and about 25-50% weight retention I've found is about ideal for deer and bear. My reasoning for this is more energy dump in the animal and fragmentation leads to not only a good permanent wound cavity carries through with the 25-50% weight retention, but also the temporary wound cavities caused by the fragmentation. I've seen fragmentation save our butts before on a marginal hit that where other wise a bullet that holds all its weight would never had hit the vitals. Just what I've found works for me. This is a pretty touchy subject especially for the crowd that thinks match bullets on game is bad ju-ju

memtb

Hiw is my example not as "apples to apples" as it can get? They are both Accubonds of different weight?

I'm confused?

Steve

If I'm reading your question right your asking for these two bullets with your given speeds and energy and the BC is equal for the two (which in reality isn't true)? If so then the faster moving bullet will create more hydrostatic shock and will expand appropriately at a farther range and the minor difference in energy wouldn't be worth considering. But BC's in the real world aren't the same for the two. What are you asking or trying to figure out?

memtb

Hiw is my example not as "apples to apples" as it can get? They are both Accubonds of different weight?

I'm confused?

Steve

Please forgive.....not sure how I misread that! :confused:

Now to attempt to answer: on a smaller game animal Pronghorn/ average Southern Whitetail ....you may see a bit more immediate response to the lighter faster bullet. Though, I think that death of animal will be very similar. On a larger game animal, large mule deer, mountain goat, elk, moose, I don't think either would show much evidence of a hit. However, I think you would be better much better served with the heavier bullet. JMO memtb

Buster Hemlock

Basically, which one of those bullets will kill better at say 125 or 200 yards for example? You can use a 150 gr SST or a 165 gr SST, don't matter. All I am wanting to know is if you feel a heavier bullet kills better if the only difference maker is the weight of the bullet and speed.

Hope that clarifies it better.

Thanks,
Steve

If your using one of the copper mono's like Barnes every thing changes. Copper mono's even in light for cal weight far out penetrate heavier C&C bullets including the partition. The mono's tend to retain all or almost all of their starting weight which means more momentum , thus deeper penetration. The copper mono's are a homogeneous solid with an expanding nose.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.