Do you want a exit wound????

LB,

THe shoulder is slightly smaller so it does have an added increase of importance of accuracy. You must be confident in this shot before you take it or you will not do well. If there is even the slightest doubt that you can't hit it, then shoot where you are more comfortable.

I was just trying to point out that if you have the accuracy and the confidence, this shoulder shot will anchor them and you mustn't need to worry about the geography of the bullet (in the animal or in the hillside).

GUYS

I haven't read everything here but did just want to be sure we're not headed toward a wrestling match or anything such.

I think GG made a good point here. If the two debated bullets are shot into a gelatin mould I would obviously think that the flat point would initially punch a larger hole than the spitzer. But the spitzer expanded it would create a large area of damage deeper inside the gelating which on a game animal is where you want the damge, right??

Just thinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Wow, did this ever turn into a ****ing contest! I tell you what why doesn't everyone just back off eachother, we can sum up all the info for the man and let him make his own decision. Here I'll start.

Double Lung / Heart shot with pass through
Pros: Rapid death of animal, 100% fatality rate, large target area, good chance of a blood trail.
Cons: May not anchor animal, may require tracking.

Double lung / heart shot without pass through
Pros: Rapid death of animal, bullets with violent expansion seem to cause greater tissue damage resulting in quicker death, large target area, 100% fatality rate.
Cons: May not anchor animal, may not be a significant blood trail, may require tracking.

Shoulder shot breaking shoulder
Pros: Anchors animal, limited or no tracking, easy to close distance and make effective follow up shot.
Cons: Wasted meat, possibility for increased suffering of animal, somewhat smaller target.

Head / CNS (central nervous system shot)
Pros: Instant death of animal, no tracking, 100% fatality rate, little if no wasted meat.
Cons: Very small target, increased chance of animal wounding.

If anyone want to argue about this post go right ahead but you might as well be arguing with your computer because I'm not into that. The above statements are simply a trend developed from the very people that post on these boards as well as hunters I know and have read about.

The bottom line is use whatever is best for you, if tracking an animal is not your strong suit then take the shot that will allow the best chance of recovery for you (shoulder, or no pass through), on the flip side if meat and quick kills are your forte than go for the double lungs with pass through. If your a super marksman with the right equipment then you get my drift.

Have a nice day, don't let the arguments get to you. Some people just like to "express" themselves.

-John

Good summary.
Hunting should be an enjoyable experience. At the end of the day each of us has to be satisfied with what we each did.

i don't know the source offhand but i will try and get the name of the book.some time ago i worked with a fellow that was working on his whatever degree and he handed me a book.his studies were about the JFK assasination and the book was written by one of the three people that had to determine the bullet directions and all of that grassy knowl stuff.i can't remember the title of the book,but it was everything you wanted to know about what makes things die from a bullet type projectile.basically he proved that a flat front,single dia projectile will cause more tramma(larger wound channel)than a mushrooming type bullet.Goodgrouper,i will definetly try to get the name of this book,because it is fasinating reading.i am not addvocating these bullets for long range,i was simply responding to an earlier remark made in this post about a mushrooming bullet making a bigger wound channel.i think if you read this book written by the worlds leading authority on the subject,you might be able to get that jaw back in place.

[ QUOTE ]
....just want to be sure we're not headed toward a wrestling match or anything such.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell. A little bit of the Jerry Springer Show now and then just spices things up. Them "Quoters" started it; says the spoiled brat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good hunting. LB

WOW I had no idea it would be this much fun to debate!!!
I can only say one thing in responce to all this. Shoot the shot you feel best about and to heck with what everyone else says. Because at the end of the day there is only one person that you have to make happy.

Have a great 4th folks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks GG,

I may just have to try that shoulder shot. Ever since I almost lost a PERFECTLY shot deer where I got both lungs I have been looking for alternative shot placements. I have been a big fan of neck shots although at long range these aren't very practical! It would be very nice to anchor animals in their place at long range. I have a couple of freinds of mine that are gonna go with me elk hunting and they simply don't beleive that a 1000 yard elk shot can be done! It would be AWSOME to get my first long range kill, and show my buddies who's da man, not to mention anchor it on the FIRST SHOT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Although finding an elk will be the first goal.

However, I will keep that in mind when I am deer hunting this year, regardless of what happens during the elk hunt. THANKS.

For the last 15 years i have alway tried to shoot deer right behind the shoulder because of less meat being throwed away..But the last two years of hunting i have been shooting them in the shoulder due to it seems they dont run as far.This is with bullet exiting or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.