Do you use an Angle Cosine Indicator (ACI) for uphill/downhill shots?

Do you use an Angle Cosine Indicator on uphill/downhill shots?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 300 25.5%
  • No, I don't need it where I hunt.

Votes: 494 42.0%
  • No, but I really should use one.

Votes: 383 32.5%

• Total voters
I have them on my long range rifles but since I got my G7 Rangefinder I haven't bothered with them. The G7 outputs match my cosine indicator/Shooter outputs exactly on angled shots. Great technology and very fast. iMO.

I have them on my long range rifles but since I got my G7 Rangefinder I haven't bothered with them. The G7 outputs match my cosine indicator/Shooter outputs exactly on angled shots. Great technology and very fast. iMO.

I have looked at the G7 range finder. That has it all. Wow, some day.

I used to use a Leupold rangefinder with TBR feature. I loved that feature, but the rangefinder sucked. I bought a Bushnell 1300 and it is a much better rangefinder. They advertise their ARC like it would function like Leupolds TBR, but the morons only have it actually function that way in bow mode (0-99 yards) so now I am stuck calc-ing for the angle. :(

I'm not aware of any newer rangefinders that don't read the angle, so am unsure why anyone would want to strap extra junk onto their rifle. If you are at ranges short enough not to need a rangefinder the angle you are shooting probably won't be a major factor either.

Not everyone who hunts or shoots uses a hand held rangefinder

Some folks use mil dots in the scope to range find. Following the
formula can range find farther than most hand held models.
For these people the angle cosign indicator makes sense.

Years before the angle cosign indicator was adapted to the
rifle and the hand held range finder with arc became available,
I used a small hand held angle cosign indicator the was used by
the surveyors to find distances on hills. It came in very handy
in field archery tournaments.

Remember "We don't all wear the same size shoes"

OK. That will get the job done. I personally do not switch scopes around very often.
Too much work, getting the rifle to shoot 0 at 100 yds. Every weapon has it's own
set of balistics.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
"YES & NO"

I used to have a Horus ASLI (Angle, Slope, Level Indicator) on my Ruger Precision Rifle but so far PRS competition has not required it so I removed it and replaced it with the largest Vortex level bubble B/C it's easier to see than the smaller bubble on my Horus ASLI. The ASLI is the only angle indicator I know that also has a level bubble.

If the competition range changes I may be forced to put it back on.

FOR HUNTING: I use Bushnell 10 x ACR 1 Mile laser rangefinder binoculars with a built in angle compensator which gives you the true ballistic hold in mils or MOA. The Burris Eliminator III LRF scope also does this. Neat!

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts