Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 887 49.7%
  • No, I don't shoot over 300 yards.

Votes: 162 9.1%
  • No, but I really should use one.

Votes: 737 41.3%

• Total voters
I thought I voted and replied. Guess I didn't. Thats what age does...

Always. I have a natural tendency to cant my rifles to the right for some reason, maybe it's my arthritic wrists or something. The level, in this case a Daryl Holland that Len offers here on site, keeps my reticle level because it causes me to conciously level the rifle.

Handguns with scopes are no issue, just long guns....

Years ago someone pointed it out to me. I was shooting my 22 Ruger stainless rifle at the club in our outdoor 50 yard league. I never realized I was canting to the right until then but up here in Michigan, a long shot (for deer) is maybe 150 yards at the most anyway.

Now out west, canting to the right on a long shot would be an issue. The level 'reminds' me, nothing more.

I bought it from Len for my 308 Savage and have yet to put one on the 338 but I will and most likely my 223 match Target rifle if it don't become a banned gun.

I'll probably get one for my new CVA AccuraV2 as well. Have to scope it yet.

I have been reading these posts on sight levels for months... all I have to say is if a sight level helps you put your rifle in a more consistent position when you shoot, you should have one. I don't use one because I practice on the range so much that my muscle memory puts me in the same natural comfortable position on every shot and once you sight in from any position, you will be on target as long as you maintain that position. BTW, have you all seen the AR-15's that have both a scope and iron sights off to the side at an angle? How bout that... built to shoot at an angle! LOL

Years ago someone pointed it out to me. I was shooting my 22 Ruger stainless rifle at the club in our outdoor 50 yard league. I never realized I was canting to the right until then but up here in Michigan, a long shot (for deer) is maybe 150 yards at the most anyway.

Now out west, canting to the right on a long shot would be an issue. The level 'reminds' me, nothing more.

I bought it from Len for my 308 Savage and have yet to put one on the 338 but I will and most likely my 223 match Target rifle if it don't become a banned gun.

I'll probably get one for my new CVA AccuraV2 as well. Have to scope it yet.

They have the .223 reloading shells shut down to where there isn't any. The bullets
are about as scarce. I just have a plain Jane bolt action 5 round target model.
I am really tired of the politicians running and ruining my life.
I agree with you the level is just a check in the execution of the shot.

223's are a non-issue here, I have at least a thousand maybe more cases and as many projectiles (mostly Hornady 55 grain FMJBT but some Vmax) in boxes. It will come back. You have to be patient and forget about the 'I want it now' syndrome.

I load what I need and thats it.

Since I'm not a hunter, I figger if I use a level on my target when I staple it in place, it's a simple matter to keep my crosshair parallel to vertical or horizontal lines on the target. But if I was a hunter, I'd certainly use a level.
I use a level to insure my crosshairs are lined up as perfect as possible when installing a new scope.

TraceySes23

Absolutely, especially when installing a scope. when installing I usually use
three of them. One in the bore, another on the scope mount and one on the
scope. Then I install one to stay on the scope barrel. I like the folding kind.

If you are shooting NRA target competition in F class it's a must.

I hunt and would not be without it, on anything over 600 yds.

Grbb,

Hello, whether or not to have a level on your rifle depends on where you shoot this
rifle, what distance and what your expectations are in the way of accuracy.

If you are shooting on a nice flat range, 200 yards. You probably don't need
a level. Check your target to see if you are grouping outside the spot. If you
have already adjusted for twist and windage, you just might be canting your
rifle and don't know it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.