Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 887 49.7%
  • No, I don't shoot over 300 yards.

Votes: 162 9.1%
  • No, but I really should use one.

Votes: 737 41.3%

• Total voters
I also just ordered an adjustment for shooting at steep angles in the mountains... cosign indicator... I think it will work well at longer distances where I don't trust my range finder to do the job... has anyone tried one?

Absolutely. It's not even that everything is "level", just consistent.

Almost every rifle has one.

Vortex is my favorite. I can see it with my "non-dominant" eye.
A smaller "clone" of the Vortex for hunting.
The plastic "flip up" for the bench rest.
A Horus ACI+level for "Tactical".

No I don't.

After working up loads (168g TSX) at 100 yds for my new custom Ritten Precision .30-06, went to the 600yd range to work up dopes for my VX-6 CDS dial. Never shot prone before or past 100 yds. Well, started at 200 yds and when I got to 600yds (12.5 moa elevation), my 1st shot hit the 3" center (x ring), than 2nd hit the 6" center (10 ring), than 3rd confirming shot was again the X Ring!

My scope is mounted dead centered and plum with the rail\rifle. When I aim, I concentrate on a level & plum reticle. At this time, can't see why I'd need a level on this accurate shooting platform!? gun)

Ted

I bought one on the LRH store and after having my rifle, scope and bubble perfectly level I noticed that on hard surfaces my rifle was always canted. Its the Bipod so time to replace that too. Its a old Harris that who knows, might never have been level.

No I don't.

After working up loads (168g TSX) at 100 yds for my new custom Ritten Precision .30-06, went to the 600yd range to work up dopes for my VX-6 CDS dial. Never shot prone before or past 100 yds. Well, started at 200 yds and when I got to 600yds (12.5 moa elevation), my 1st shot hit the 3" center (x ring), than 2nd hit the 6" center (10 ring), than 3rd confirming shot was again the X Ring!

My scope is mounted dead centered and plum with the rail\rifle. When I aim, I concentrate on a level & plum reticle. At this time, can't see why I'd need a level on this accurate shooting platform!? gun)

Ted

That 10 should have been an x had you been level. gun) 600 yard is a heck of a lot easier to shoot without a level then 1000 yards to a over a mile.

I cannot believe this question got or warrants 25 pages of responses. It just isn't that big an issue. Most of the answers add absolutely no insight, I am un-subscribing.

That 10 should have been an x had you been level. gun) 600 yard is a heck of a lot easier to shoot without a level then 1000 yards to a over a mile.

Maybe!? :rolleyes: Side wind @ 45deg. was variable 5 to 15 mph, had windage set for 10mph average...2nd shot on 10 ring could have just been a gust!?

You are right, any cant errors will multiply with LR distance. My longest possible hunt is 500 yds, should be go to go with that. :D

Ted

I'm going to try one out as soon as my gun gets back. There's so many guys using them here for me to not try one.

I think having a level is crucial for all types of shooting, even at relatively short range if you are shooting groups removing all variables is key, so if you have a variable cant ranging from 0-5 degrees you will have a variable horizontal shift on top of any wind.

At 100yds in a full value 10mph wind you are only looking at .05-.3 Mil wind depending on the cartridge, with a 5 degree cant you may add .1 mil to the wind or subtract it. And having a .36" variable while shooting groups is not good.

For example a 77gr 5.56 with a .362 BC in a full value 10mph wind only drifts .25" at 100yds, but having 5 degrees of cant on top of that can reduce that to .15" or increase it to .35"

5 degrees of cant will add .1 mil of drift for every 100yds in the direction of the cant.

At 500yds the same 77gr 5.56 will drift 9" with a 5 degree cant.
A full value 10mph wind for that round at 500yds needs a 1.5-1.6 mil correction, if I have a 5 degree cant, I will either add .5 mil to the wind or subtract it.

At 500yds if I see a mirage with just a slight lift and estimate 8-10mph and hold 1.5 mil (with a 77gr 5.56) and end up with a either a 1 or 2 mil drift most people would assume "the wind is doing something downrange" or their initial wind call was wrong.

And with the same round a 1mil drift is a 6mph wind, 2 mils is 15mph, So if you are learning to read mirage, or are well practiced but have some shots that show alot less/more drift than the wind should cause you either blame it on "shifting wind" or lose confidence in your ability to read mirage.

Wind is hard enough to learn and estimate properly, adding variable cant into the equation is just counterproductive.

Once you get past 300yds 5 degrees of cant is enough to be the difference between a hit and a miss on small targets or Varmints, and On large game its enough to be the difference between a clean kill dropping the animal in its tracks, or a shot that leaves the game wounded and running.

At 500yds and beyond 5 degrees of cant becomes 9"+ and certainly is enough to turn what would have been a clean kill onto a gutshot, superficial wound, or just a plain miss depending on the target and the way the rifle is canted.

Past 1000yds 5 degrees of cant is 36"+

There are so many great levels that are affordable, and there are alot of them that you can drop over $100 on. So If you are serious about shooting you need a level.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.