Do you use a Remington Sendero in Mountains?

I second the Gun Bearer by Kifaru. Your weight is very doable but can get a tad heavy at the end of the day. I use the GB in NW MT with good success.

What sling do you use for a heavy rifle?

Hey SofaKing, Check out some of the Blue Force Gear Slings. I have lugged an M249 SAW all over hell and back, which is much heavier than your standard long range rig, and this sling has saved my bacon many times. They have the quick adjust feature which helps build a rock solid shooting platform from non standard positions. A little on the pricey side for a sling, but this is a "gear intensive" sport eh?

As for you I can't say but I do..I have one in 7mag. with a nightforce scope and I'm 70 years old and did it last year for my Moose hunt and Elk deer and just to keep in shape for the hunts..

bassrods

Sendero, and other similar builds/wt, in 300 RUM, bipod, stock cheek riser with ammo pouch, 20 moa base with 6-24x50 in 30mm tube, and sling. The weight does require my aging body to shift carry shoulders from time to time, but when it is time to to shoot across, up or down the canyon, the benefits of a stable platform are worth the price of admission.

Now for a real test, try carrying, or lugging, a couple of my laminated stock LR varmint rifles up and down Colorado hills in search of chucks and smaller targets. Full bull 26" barrels, heavy full size tactical or prone stocks, bipods, 6-24x50, 8-32x50 or 10-40x52 all 30mm tubes. Once a group of targets is located, the pain of carrying logs around soon disappears.

Not a "Sendero", but a 14# R700 semi-custom in .300RUM. AZ elk hunting in the mountains. My long range elk rifle. Now it is more if a half day hiking or hike to a glassing point rifle.

I also carry a 15.5# 6.5 SLR for deer hunting.

I have started to carry a 9.5# R700 in 7RM now for long or steep hikes.

Would that be the opposite of using a Remington Mountain rifle on a Texas sendero? lol. Couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I like the heavy rifles even though I don't do a lot of mountains here in Eastern N.C.

Here's my "heavy"; this is a .270 Allen Magnum built by Kirby. It weighs 14lbs, without the scope.

Attachments

• AM.jpg
    AM.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 86
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.