Do you use a Remington Sendero in Mountains?

SofaKing

So I just bought my first Sendero in 300 win mag. After putting the base: egw 20 moa , rings: Leupold prw, scope: vortex pst 6-24x50 and anticant level on. She's getting heavy. Not mention the bipod sitting on the table next to it.

My question is does anyone actually hike up the mountains and walk the low lands with a rifle dressed similar? Or I have I created a bench rifle?

I did for many years, but not elk hunting or in the mountains. In the hills of Alabama, which can be just as bad. In the mountains it's one way at a time... In Alabama it's up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down through the hills and valleys. That crap is a hell of a workout.

I hunt with similar weight, probably heavier. My .270 AI with 30" Lilja barrel #6 contour + MB hunt ready is ~12 lbs and I take them up and down in the Montana wilderness at 6-7000' ...

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

1101141037_zpsac79443d.jpg

I hunted with the a sendero 300 mag 6-20x scope and bipod for many years in mountains from 5000-10,000 ft. Totally due able but I was a bit younger too. You will find it's not that bad but noticicable by the end of the day. You will also learn why folks are going to carbon fiber wrapped barrels. Great gun, happy hunting

My Pre-64 model model 70 in .300H&H with McMillan stock and 3.5x15 Nightforce, sling and 4 cartridges weighs 11 pounds. Way too heavy for me to carry in the mountains of Trout Creek Montana, which I did, and enjoyed NOT.

good luck

Jerry

Buy yourself a good pack with provisions to carry a rifle comfortably, I tote around a sendero contoured 14 lb gun in an eberlestock main frame pack with a scabbard and it makes life a lot better. Slinging it sucks but having it in a pack you don't notice it. You might try a gun bearer also. The weight of the rifle is worth it when it's game time to me.

Yes, I packed one into the Bob Marshall Wilderness on a multi day hunt on foot. Of course I'd just won a mid sized marathon the week before so I had some fitness to spare.

Fast forward a decade, I'm building a 338 Edge to do this same hunt and it will come in a bit heavier. I'm not winning any marathons anymore, so I really need to get in better shape.

Sofa, I'm 67 and carry 13lb rifle and day pack on 6-9000' hunts. I live at 1100', but when you're chasing elk or deer you don't think about the weight, just how to find and kill something. Heck, its only a very brief time in a year of your life. Try one of Svnmag's scabbard packs and get after em! Good luck

Sofa, I'm 67 and carry 13lb rifle and day pack on 6-9000' hunts. I live at 1100', but when you're chasing elk or deer you don't think about the weight, just how to find and kill something. Heck, its only a very brief time in a year of your life. Try one of Svnmag's scabbard packs and get after em! Good luck

Yep, I hear you ... the adrenaline rocks! :):Dgun)

I'm a few years behind you but I hope I can still do the same when I grow up. :cool:

Buy yourself a good pack with provisions to carry a rifle comfortably, I tote around a sendero contoured 14 lb gun in an eberlestock main frame pack with a scabbard and it makes life a lot better. Slinging it sucks but having it in a pack you don't notice it. You might try a gun bearer also. The weight of the rifle is worth it when it's game time to me.

This...I hate a sling...I also carry my 28" Sendero profile in an Eberlestock pack...

This...I hate a sling...I also carry my 28" Sendero profile in an Eberlestock pack...

Yep. I have a mystery ranch pack and an eberlestock I use to carry my rifle, depending on what type of hunt I'm on. I never notice the weight, my Sendero probably weighs in around 13lbs fully loaded. I am also a huge proponent of being as fit as time will allow, so the difference between a 9lb "lightweight" rifle and a 13lb gun is nominal.

Butler creek neoprene. I hardly ever just sling my gun though. I can access it pretty quick out of my pack if I need to.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.