Do you use a rear bag when out hunting?

I had one of Hollands, I really liked the size/shape of it. The camo pattern blended in a little too well with a WY hill so now I have a leather one that uses the 'ears' from a bag they sell at cabelas. I got the idea after using Ernie's a few years back...

If it is a long range hunt I always have a rear bag in my pack. I have a couple of different shapes and I guess my mood dictates wich one goes on what hunt. All of my bags are handmade by a guy over @24HR Campfire, he does a run of bags everynow and then, real nice stuff.

Here is a couple of pics . I have two rectagular sizes 5x7 and 7x9 and a round. The smaller bag has a strap that I leave attached to my back pack. These are filled wiht som esort of poly beads, a bit lighter and no problems when they get wet.

IMG_5500.jpg

Wy08008.jpg

I use the Redman bag and have a small aluminum carabiner on the end strap. When it's is a pack it's just loose but if it's a short hike/walk I clip it on a belt loop, out of the way, and it's so light it's like it's not there but it is quickly available.

Two flat polybead bags - DIY design
One round back, poly filled - Original use was a stuff bag.
One leather rabbit ear'd bag, poly filled. Bought it decades ago from ??????

I have not used a "rear bag" per say when out hunting. But I do always try for some form of rear support, wether it be a pack, coat or combination of a few things to get stable. Most of my hunting is remote horse back and hiking, and I just dont want to pack another pound around all day. If I were hunting closer to a truck or quad, without question I would have one of the fancy Red Tac rear bags.

Yes, Holland's, the little one. Sometimes I also carry a big poofy one that I got from Specialized Dynamics, but I use that as a pillow to take naps. Got to be comfy in the heat of the day.

I used a Triad rear bag on my Antelope hunt in Wyoming a few weeks ago and it worked great. This was my first experience hunting like this but it seems to work great. I carried it in the cargo pocket of my pants and it never bothered me. Of course spending time in the Army I learned to carry many thing in the pocket and got used to it. It comes prefilled with a material that's not too heavy and works very well. I have used it both on it's side and flat. The bag squeezes easily for elevation adjustments. The picture is where I shot the doe at 300yds set up exactly as you see. I used exactly the same set up for the Buck I shot at 400yds.

Gordon
Niceville, FL

PA060073.jpg

I've been using a homemade bag. I took an old wool hunting sock and filled it with beans. It actually works great but a little heavy, maybe too many beans. I look forward to trying the Redman.

I made one for this years hunt in the shape of a door stop with a para cord strap for easy attachment to my pack with a carribeaner. (sp) I got some cordora (sp) nylon material and figured it should last a long time.
I filled it with some old media I had and was very happy with it. It worked well on antelope and my first mule deer. ;-))) Man them guys are big ;-) glad it was all down hill back to the truck.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.