Do you understand how a Tikka T3 is bedded in a factory stock?

ShtrRdy

If so, could you explain it to me?

Is it just the curved feature by the action screws? Or the flat part on the bottom? Or the curved sides?

After I had the barrel replaced on a T3 Varmint model I'm having trouble developing a load because i keep seeing two shots very close to each other and one shot further away. I've tried a full span of powder charge weights and seating depth lengths with the powder and bullets I have had good experience with in the past.

There is a metal "lug" embedded in the stock that fits into a recess on the action. See attached pic.

Attachments

• 20201231_100826.jpg
    20201231_100826.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 155
I understand the recoil lug but I don't understand which parts of the action are to be in consistent contact with the stock?

From some depth measurements I took it looks like there is some space between the top of the recoil lug and the bottom of the notch in the action. I would expect this to be the case.

That lug has to be seated solid against the action, no gap.The actions are not bedded from the factory, if it has been bedded that could be the cause of the lug not fully seating against the action. I have 6 Tikka rifles and went through this issue on a used stock I bought, long story short I removed the half *** bedding job and redid it correctly problem solved for my rifle.

That lug has to be seated solid against the action, no gap.The actions are not bedded from the factory, if it has been bedded that could be the cause of the lug not fully seating against the action. I have 6 Tikka rifles and went through this issue on a used stock I bought, long story short I removed the half *** bedding job and redid it correctly problem solved for my rifle.

I understand the need for the action to be in full contact with the recoil lug. On a factory stock, what part/surface of the action is on contact with the stock to provide repeatable bedding.

I understand what you're asking, but I don't know for sure. I always assumed that all of the plastic surfaces in the bedding area of the stock would be in full contact with the action, but maybe with less pressure on the vertical sides. I wouldn't think it would be a bedding issue if you didn't have that problem before.

Is your stock free-floated now since there's a new barrel? Or is it a replacement factory barrel or factory contour barrel?

Is your stock free-floated now since there's a new barrel? Or is it a replacement factory barrel or factory contour barrel?

The barrel inlet in the forend had to be opened up so that the barrel is free-floating. Yeah, you wouldn't think bedding would be a problem if it wasn't a problem before the new barrel was installed. If the gunsmith had a hard time removing the original barrel could that have changed something?

Couple options I've played with
1. devcon recoil lug to action and bed with release
2. spot weld recoil lug to action
3. face action and add remington type lug (my favorite)
4. Super glue lug to receiver during bedding to keep lug close till dry then it breaks loose.
Did I totally misunderstand your question?

Couple options I've played with
1. devcon recoil lug to action and bed with release
2. spot weld recoil lug to action
3. face action and add remington type lug (my favorite)
4. Super glue lug to receiver during bedding to keep lug close till dry then it breaks loose.
Did I totally misunderstand your question?
Ah, .... yeah, ..... you pretty much totally misunderstood my question.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.