Do you think they’ll change the .270s twist rate?

Calvin45

Want to know what you're thinking will happen. I hope the manufacturers of standard hunting rifles will make the twist rate of their factory standard 270 Winchester's faster than the long established 1:10 twist soon for us handloaders, not as a custom option but a standard one. The sig.277 fury and the 27 Nosler are bringing with them true high bc 270 bullets and the promise of more to come, with 8.5 twists. I actually just sent an email to savage arms to see what the possibility of this happening is. I'd love to pick up a no-frills plain vanilla 111 in .270 win to replace my current plain vanilla 111 270 win with a factory standard 8.5 twist to load 170 Berger's, 165 and 175 matrix hunting vlds, attain better accuracy with the 180 woodleigh weldcore, and the new coming 165 ablrs. Do you thing anyone's going to revive the plain old 270 (and as far as I'm concerned the original true long range hunting dedicated cartridge) with a better twist?

Want to know what you're thinking will happen. I hope the manufacturers of standard hunting rifles will make the twist rate of their factory standard 270 Winchester's faster than the long established 1:10 twist soon for us handloaders, not as a custom option but a standard one. The sig.277 fury and the 27 Nosler are bringing with them true high bc 270 bullets and the promise of more to come, with 8.5 twists. I actually just sent an email to savage arms to see what the possibility of this happening is. I'd love to pick up a no-frills plain vanilla 111 in .270 win to replace my current plain vanilla 111 270 win with a factory standard 8.5 twist to load 170 Berger's, 165 and 175 matrix hunting vlds, attain better accuracy with the 180 woodleigh weldcore, and the new coming 165 ablrs. Do you thing anyone's going to revive the plain old 270 (and as far as I'm concerned the original true long range hunting dedicated cartridge) with a better twist?
just order a pre-fit the way you want it for your existing rifle

just order a pre-fit the way you want it for your existing rifle
I have thought about that. From what I've been seeing many prefit manufacturers won't ship to Canada (where I'm from) and from the companies in Canada that make them it would cost as much or more than buying a savage 111 new. That's the only hang up, otherwise I do like the idea.

I have thought about that. From what I've been seeing many prefit manufacturers won't ship to Canada (where I'm from) and from the companies in Canada that make them it would cost as much or more than buying a savage 111 new. That's the only hang up, otherwise I do like the idea.
that's not worth a ****

prices in Canada are expensive but a custom prefit would shoot better then a factory savage barrel!

look into jc custom barrels they are in canada

Solely an opinion, I think the .277 caliber high bc bullets will spawn factory cartridges i.e. a 27 Creedmoor, .277-08 and such. It'll be as the 6.5's went, the new cartridges will be vastly superior to the existing (sarcasm), and everyone will NEED one. The .270 Winchester although will remain the same 1 in 10 130gr bullet shooting icon as it always has.

look into jc custom barrels they are in canada
I'll give them a look. Still interested in the thoughts of others regarding the question of this thread, does it seem at all likely that factory rifles chambered in .270 win will see their twist rates getting tightened from 1:10 to 1:8.5 or so. Would like to see this very much, am aware of the existence of aftermarket possibilities which have been around for a very long time, nothing new. Want to see this go mainstream.

Solely an opinion, I think the .277 caliber high bc bullets will spawn factory cartridges i.e. a 27 Creedmoor, .277-08 and such. It'll be as the 6.5's went, the new cartridges will be vastly superior to the existing (sarcasm), and everyone will NEED one. The .270 Winchester although will remain the same 1 in 10 130gr bullet shooting icon as it always has.
Might be, the really stupid thing if that happens is that a .27 creed would just be a .277 fury at 20kpsi lower pressure!

Calvin. Have to talked to Mystic Precision in B.C.? He does a lot of pre fits. I just bought my first 110 savage action and am thinking of getting a pre fit as well. I'm going to call NSS and see what they can ship to us now that the changes in ITAR are through.

I think eventually somebody is bound to recognize that they could start chambering faster twist barrels at the factory and use it as a marketing leg up over the competition.

"Fastest twist 270win available on the market to stabilize the INHERENTLY accurate high B.C. bullets (also available only from us) buy yours today, and buy one for your dad too while you're at it!"

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.