Do you put anything between your rings and scope tube?

NOOOOOOOO! And buy quality rings that don't need to be lapped. Lapping allows for a loose tolerance if not done perfectly. A good set of rings such as Nightforce, Seekens, Spuhr, etc. are machined far more precisely than you can ever lap by hand.
(Capt obvious here) Lapping isnt just ring related. It reflects the base tolerances, action holes, etc. And, yes, super glue. Try it.

I Just read a tip a few days ago that recommended a small dab of rubber cement on the rings when mounting a scope. Do you use anything between the rings and tube when final mounting a scope? If so, what and how do you do it?
). Brush a thin coat on inside of rings and set scope in them (very slippery) use a little tension at this point before u torque down. Excess will swish out, let set 20-30 min and use small brush to clean up...Comes off like little buggers. No need to align scope rings unless they are Leupold base and ring or cheapies. Self aligns with cushion of glue between scope and rings. NEVER a mark from wrong alignment on scope either.

Id say hes Super serious
I thought we were friends :) My videos of long range shooting with the edge and rum .... all done with super glue. I know I've lost a man card here, but I don't over torque my scope rings and damage scopes. Ask Travis at vortex why the majority of scopes get returned....

In the 60's and 70's Weaver rings came with felt tape so that the steel on steel wouldn't mark the scope tube . I have used scotch tape , electrical tape as well as paper for the same reason . I like the Burris signature rings as they don't mark the scopes . I use a lap to align the rings when mounting them even on high quality rings to eliminate as much stress as I can because even high quality rings can have stress induced in them by all of the stacked machining tolerances in the receivers and rings just a feel good for me .

Just like L.sherm and Deputy819 said, last time I mounted a scope I read that article that he linked to and thought that seemed like a pretty fool proof way to get perfect scope ring alignment and with less equipment seeing as I don't have a lapping rod. I probably can't shoot well enough to tell the difference but this is now the most accurate rifle I've ever shot so I'm thinking it didn't hurt any and I for one will continue doing it until I have a bad experience!

Never thought I would regard some LRH members as ignorant, but I do today.
Decades ago, Ross Seyfried was applying liquid rubber electric tape (probably 3M) to his scope rings, for the stated purpose of eliminating movement. The liquid rubber was black and came in a can with a brush. It's original purpose was to coat and insulate electrical connections. I'm sure the rings he had available then were not as good as some available today, but that doesn't mean what he was doing was stupid, as some have implied here.
The mark of an ignorant, unimaginative person, is to laugh and ridicule when they encounter something they haven't heard of before.

You guys want a fight!? Here ya go:
I chamber my rifles thru the headstock
I full length size my brass
I use a mandrel and not neck bushings
AND, I use super glue on my rings
Now, I am off to change the diff and transfer case fluid on my Duramax..... and, yes I drive a GMC ;)

edit- and if I took all the time from my posts and put it into fixing my wife's power stroke.... it still would be a turd! ;) take that

fun having so many of us here during this covid thing

What I notice on here, is the guys commenting about using superglue, rubber cement, rosin and lock tite are never on here complaining about problems with scope slip or complaining about any problems in their hobby. It's because the guys who know, usually take precautions/steps in their reloading and rifle setups to the point they figure out what works and roll with it, not ever having a problem or caring if it's the status quo.

I Just read a tip a few days ago that recommended a small dab of rubber cement on the rings when mounting a scope. Do you use anything between the rings and tube when final mounting a scope? If so, what and how do you do it?

While I have never used rubber cement on a set of rings, my engineering background tells me it is NOT a bad idea. Rubber cement is fairly viscous, and as such will work to "float" a scope ever so slightly off the rings, allowing relief from any stresses caused by even the most minor misalignment while also increasing grip on the scope without adding more crush force. Rubber cement would also be removable and as such will not damage the scope or rings.

While I agree rubber cement would never be needed in a heavy rig where there is no need to shy away from heavy & bulky 6-screw rings that are lapped in place for a perfectly aligned bedding surface, it seems more appropriate on a light rig where the rifle is light so felt recoil is greater, and rings are the lightest you hope to get away with. This is especially true with a heavy scope on that light rifle.

I categorize this as a good suggestion for specific applications, but something that is not universally needed.

If I was to ever again mount a scope on a recoil-operated shotgun with Weaver rings, I believe I would use a little rubber cement.

Yes, purists may not like my answer, but I'm more interested in what works than in what impresses others.

You guys want a fight!? Here ya go:
I chamber my rifles thru the headstock
I full length size my brass
I use a mandrel and not neck bushings
AND, I use super glue on my rings
Now, I am off to change the diff and transfer case fluid on my Duramax..... and, yes I drive a GMC ;)

edit- and if I took all the time from my posts and put it into fixing my wife's power stroke.... it still would be a turd! ;) take that

fun having so many of us here during this covid thing
I'll raise you, and confess to owning a 6.5 creed, I break in rifle barrels, I clean primer pockets, and turn the high spots off my necks! I do a seating test before I do charge weight!!
And... I drive a dodge!!

I digress just a bit, but funny nonetheless.
Back in the 1980s while in the Army (and "economically challenged") I was hunting an installation that only allowed deer hunting with slugs. My shotgun shot about 10" left and 8" high, so I duct taped a hacksaw blade to the top of the reciever and clamped a twelve dollar .22 scope on top. Zeroed it. I had to baby that thing. I killed (at that time) the biggest deer of my life on opening day.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.