Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

• YES

Votes: 1,117 51.8%
  • NO

Votes: 1,041 48.2%

• Total voters
Thanks for the idea! I knew I was missing something out there! I wonder if Ebay has them.....

I get a kick out of the idea that a person would be hunting elk with a big game rifle and then see a prairie dog so you'd have to switch mags fast (cuz 180gr partitions wouldn't kill a prairie dog) blast the doggy and then quickly switch back to your big game ammo and keep right on hunting. It doesn't really happen like that in the real world. It's crazy on so many levels that I don't even feel like addressing them for fear of the hatred that my comments would ignite. lol Lets just say that using a DBM is fine if you think you need one but don't try to justify it. Just say you like them. lol Sorry if I offended anyones purchase. I think they look cool also. Like TackB said, if you prefer a system, just say you prefer it. Getting caught up in the tactical aspect of this issue is moot. Remember, we're hunting animals that don't have guns on here. There's virtually no possibility that they will over run our perimeter and hack us to death we don't have at least 90 rds of ammo at our disposal. You should be going out with a purpose in mind, bringing a tool for that job and getting it done with one or two shots. If you like a DBM that's cool. I do too actually and my duty rifle obviously has one. But for hunting little furry unarmed creatures, I don't need one. If you can't kill what ever you're hunting in five shots I think you have bigger problems than not enough ammo. My Dad always told me, "If you are ever wondering if someone's an idiot, count his fingers. If you're still unsure, strike up a conversation about hunting." lol

Last edited:
I don't want one so much for switching out loads as much as for the ease of loading/unloading the gun.

On the times I do get away to hunt, it's usually not umpteen miles back in the middle of no-where, it's hunting patches of public lands in between private land. A fair amount of crossing fences (with permission, of course) and getting in and out of vehicles (because you can't always get to spot B from spot A because of private landowners in the middle). To me, thats where a DBM really comes in handy - don't have to try crossing a barb-wire fence with a loaded gun, don't have to lay it on the ground (in the snow, often as not), and I can easily pop the mag and eject the chambered round and put it in the truck. It's a small convenience, but I like it.

YMMV,

Monte

Remember, we're hunting animals that don't have guns on here. There's virtually no possibility that they will over run our perimeter and hack us to death we don't have at least 90 rds of ammo at our disposal.

Only 90 rds??

Great post and perspective roaddog!

I really like the convenience, especially when my fingers are wet/cold. Bad weather follows me around every season. Easier to manipulate a mag than individual rounds.

I'm still serious about the zombies, however.........

I'll take blind mag's, ADL's, over floorplates or DBM's for a hunting rifle. If forced to run mag system I like the HS. I like the (almost) flush fit of the magzines and the inside the bow mag release.

Yes I do, and I never thought I would be part of that group.

My new Tikka holds 5 30-06 rounds. 5-10 is a really good number for a bolt rifle.

I am building a 8x68S and 9.3x64 pair on custom actions and going to use the AICS magazines on both. I can't wait.

Everyone needs 8 rounds of 9.3x64.

I dont like a mag that hangs down, like something like browning, built in or flush

A detachable magazine with a reliable release makes any weapon more versatile. For hunting, 4-5 rounds is fine. For use as a defensive weapon, 10-20 is a better number. Individual magazines are expensive and below 10 rounds they have a funky form factor, that in my opinion does not promote good handling. 10 rounds + typically has sufficient length to allow a good grip on them for insertion, removal, and in a Katrina style emergency situation with looters, etc 10+ rounds is going to intimidate most bad guys other than those high on crack. If you only have 3 rounds in the mag, you are either going to end up single loading or be sufficiently distracted that someone may get you.

While we may be able to own several weapons, the problem with life is that we don't get warnings regarding when the sh1t is going to happen, so the result is that you tend to have what is with you, and that is about it. That was the reason why I chose the 7.62x39 ar15 as my general purpose rifle. It has a short carry case and there are meanwhile 26" take down cases that carry the rifle with scope, 4x 30 round magazines, 2x 5 round magazines for hunting as well as several boxes of ammo. It takes up very little room behind the seat of the truck and I will generally have it virtually all the time, provided I can get to my truck.

Our long range weapons are less portable, but with a little planning, they can be pressed into service as defensive weapons if circumstances dictate. I would say that the continued presence of precisely such tools, knowledge and experience is strategically important to the US given the powerful position taken by countries like China and their massive populations with general willingness to follow instructions. Countries like Australia, where firearms ownership has been so restricted and where interest and thus participation in shooting sport is declining, would fall to a Chinese ground force in a matter of days. One has to wonder what exactly the UN has in mind with their stupid disarmament campaign, which is likely to put the world back into a vulnerable state, ripe for a new dictator, just like what we had prior to the existence of the UN ?