Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

• YES

Votes: 1,114 51.8%
  • NO

Votes: 1,037 48.2%

• Total voters
I usually keep mine in a vest pocket if I feel there is a chance of losing it, always have a spare anyways.

hinged floor plate and follower, top loaded for field/hunting use is my preference. I can load a top feed faster than I can load a DBM.

not a fan of DBM for hunting. it has its place for high capacity which is more of a tactical application than a hunting application.

When I htink of range I think of static shooting with all your gear laid out nicely within reach. When Im doing that I just single load laying them on top. When Im hunting since this is a large caliber I think youre going for deer or something that you wont be blowing through shot after shot. For both of those you wont really gain anything with a dbm. If thats not the case and you range is running around and youll be pig hunting where youre trying to blast as many as possible then the dbm will be appreciated.

The less you have to arry an fumble with, the better off you are.. the less you have to keep checking ,, (like did i lose a clip or is my clip still in my rifle ???) My father always called them a clip , not a magazine,,,He was a BAR man in WW II , in five major battles)

No, I like a rifle with built in magazine but I'm sure its really a preference as I like the clip in my old X-5 lightning 22.

State hunting regulations (Iowa) pushed my vote to "Yes". Much simpler to remove the magazine for transport than to empty the fixed mag & keep track of the loose rounds.

I found that when I hunted with a rifle that had a detachable mag I was often leaving camp with the mag somewhere other than on my person. Don't know why, but just always seemed to keep track of the loose rounds. I guess old habits. The DM is nice for unloading and transporting.

Gotta have it for Canada. If you want to stay legal you have to empty the rifle every time you get in a vehicle. I would not be able to live with emptying the mag and losing rounds every time so its really great to just pull the mag out. Its such a stupid law but I guess it would be stupider to defy it and risk being caught.

So that's why I bought a DBM, but now that I'm used to it I do like loading and unloading it without having to hold the rifle. I haven't bought a spare mag yet; I guess if I lose it I will just have a single shot rifle for that trip.

The worst is blind mag. I bought one cuz I just had to have the lightest weight rifle, but it really sucks. I now know I'd rather add the 4 ounces and be able to drop the rounds either with a hinged floor or a DBM. When I'm carrying my blind mag rifle I seriously ponder just hunting single-shot and leaving the mag empty. I can't say I've never needed a second shot, but I can say I don't remember ever needing a second shot that I wouldn't have had time to load.

Last edited:
Its a personal preference, but I have no clips for mine except my DPMS which is a semi auto,,,for my NV scope. My 270, custom , 3006, or my Savage 308 ~ have no clips for them. (mags)… The less I have to fool with the better.. Its nothing to remove ammo from any bolt gun... Just slide the bolt back and angle the rifle , , use your thumb to stop it from ejecting...turn the rifle on its side slightly ,, the round falls in your hand ..the next round , you can move the bolt to chamber it and it will pop loose , then turn the gun and let that one drop out in your hand... lol its just so easy to do. Some guys eject all of them out in the grass or snow even... wipe off and put in pocket .

Recent Posts