Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

Do you prefer a hunting rifle with a detachable mag?

• YES

Votes: 1,117 51.8%
  • NO

Votes: 1,041 48.2%

• Total voters
While I have both, I tend to use a floor plate much more often, but it depends on what is being hunted. Big game at long range is usually taken in single shot mode anyway, and that allows for any desired change in ammo prior to the shot. A stock mounted tactical pouch holds ten rounds, and while usually it contains one load, I have taken Partitions or X bullets along with the 210 Berger or ABLR. If hunting closer in the woods with a full mag, I still prefer the floor plate models. Four to five rounds makes for plenty of aimed shots, at least, it does most of the time. Up close wild hogs by the dozen makes for some fast mag emptying.

When hunting/shooting smaller varmint type animals, usually, I run all rifles in single mode also. Solid stocks and floor plates do not matter much in single shot mode, and they have nicer lines too.

Dangerous game, usually, those calibers only have 2 to 4 rounds capacity, and a mag can hang up on brush and/or drop out at the wrong time. Yes, it has happened! Not to mention, one time my brother left his mag in the truck and when it came time to load for the shot, it became a single shot anyway. Fortunately, one shot was all that was needed, for rifles without external mags in place often make for slower or fumbled reloading in single mode.

No. The last thing that I want is a point of potential failure when chambering a follow-up round. My dedicated hunting rifles are all built on Mausers with internal magazines; I have never experienced a failure to feed. Can't say the same for the tactical rifles that I have with AI mags (two rifles, three mags). Tikka plastic mags have never failed to feed, *however* I have had the ledge where the mag clips into the well become worn through use, making it non-functional (it won't snap in), until I take a square file and freshen the ledge (it works afterwards).

For that matter, I have never had a failure to extract with a Mauser action, either; can't say the same for plunger-ejector actions.

Yes and No, if I am in an ambush situation where I have all the time in the world to shoot or causing mayhem and discontent on a prairie dog town or working on a cull, then a Magazine is either or.

If the animal I am hunting can stomp, gore, bite, chew or otherwise cause me undue bodily harm because I shot it at close range, then it is a blind or secure type floor plate with a controlled feed and is either in .375 H&H or .416 Rigby

No I hunt with the very best ever, Winchester m70 1940 version in 270 it never fails, I have carried this gun for 58 years. not about to change for a lesser reliable fire arm. Big Guy.

No. I don't like the looks and the detachable hangs down in front of the trigger guard and gets in the way. If they sit flush with the bottom of the stock I can live with them other wise not.

mustang58, I had a rifle for years with a detachable mag,,,, Win, Model 100 ,,, it never fit right carrying it... always was uncomfortable because of the magazine, it wasn't totally flush

I have to agree with switch, I have often been hunting for one animal with a lighter bullet when an opportunity at a larger animal presents itself....easy swicth mags to a heavier ( or lighter) bullet and do it quickly. Cheers