Do You Plan To Buy Any New Optics In The Next 12 Months?

Do you plan to buy any new optics in the next 12 months?

• YES - of course!

Votes: 1,873 88.3%
  • NO - I have enough for now...

Votes: 248 11.7%

• Total voters
Another GBP Optic for my 6mm AI build (was going to go the standard VX-3 VH Reticle that I picked up, but going to put that on something else.)

Redfield Revolution for my Savage Walking Varminter in 5.7x28mm (pickup rifle)

Weaver Grand Slam 3-10 for an old 243 I have that has a cheap Bushnell on it now. Impressed with the Weavers, thought I would try em out.

If I have some extra play money, I might check out the new Vortex Viper PST 6-24, probably not this year though since I sold the gun I would have put it on.

Last edited:
This year I bought a NSX 3.5x15x50, NPR1. I purchased an NSX 5.5x22x56 several years ago and installed it on my 300 Win Mag. I also have several Leupolds on other rifles. For better than 20 years I've been strictly a Leupold user. They are a quality scope. But in buying and using the NF, there is a significant improvement in quality that is worth the extra money.

I do allot of backpack hunting in rugged steep terrain. This said, on occasion I had to have warranty repairs performed on a couple of my Leupolds.

With the NF/NSX 5.5x22, it has been exposed to extreme conditions and abuse from falls, being dropped, and even falling out of my rifle scabbard while riding my horse up a snow, ice covered muddy elk trail. I didn't realize it for several hundred yards and when I reached back to check it. The rifle was missing. Back tracking I found that when we had negotiated a steep inclined switch back the rifle slid out and bounced down the side of the gully on and over rocks and boulders.

I wiped it off, opened and removed the bolt and bore sighted on dark knot on a tree 75 yards away. The center line of the bore and the reticle were dead on.
I re-taped the muzzle with electrical tape and continued hunting. The following afternoon I shot a nice 5x5 bull. One shot DRT.

I highly recommend the NF scopes. They work and are solid. The NPR-1 and the NPR-2 reticles are easy to use for holdover in fast shooting situations by using the crossbars. If there's time you can dial in come-ups for pin-point accuracy.

Save the money and treat yourself to an outstanding scope.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa414/gonzok34/300 Mag/300winmag3.jpg

Good Luck,
Gonzo

Sargeant of Marines (Ret.)
3 Tours Combat Duty - Vietnam
Disabled Veteran
SEMPER FIDELS

Getting a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 MOA EBR-1 for my semi-custom 300 RUM. I actually have it on layaway and am getting it off in a couple weeks. Can't wait!!

Speedo/Gus,

You've made a wise decision. When you purchase the scope also buy the NF Ballistic Program. It not only calculates your elevation and windage adjustments, but also includes the holdover range for each hashmark. This gives you the option of making extremely fast long range shots without dailing up elevelation or windage.

****Remember after developing your personnel ballistics data to verify it in the field before you go hunting. With minor fine tuning its very accuracy.

GONZO gun)
SEMPER FIDELIS

Lots of BIG SPENDERS on this site...LOL. I myself will be buying another Vortex Viper in a 6.5x20 to go ontop of a new 243...of which maker I am unsure of right now? Maybe a T/C venture? All the money I save, I'll put towards a hunt somewhere!!!! You guys and those Schmidt & Benders, and Night Forces must have hit the lotto or something!! Anyway, I just need enough to kill my target, not see how well it kept up it's dental Hygiene!! Good Shooting Eveyonegun)

Yep, need a new spotting scope, like a bozo I ran off and left the other at the range, so some lucky sob has it now. And just how many days did I beat myself up over that?? I'm still beating myself about that blunder.

Anyone have any suggetions for a new reasonabley priced piece of glass? Under 400.

In this thread there have been excellent suggestions concerning the various brands. Buy the best you can afford in YOUR price range. The important thing is to start shooting, developing loads, and creating a ballistic drop chart.
Have allot of fun.
Gonzogun)

Definites:
-Leupold Mark 4 LRT or ERT 6.5-20x50 M1 w/ TMR ret. (possibly two)
-NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 w/ MLR ret
-A pistol optic of some kind
-Night Vision scope (something not too expensive, Wish I could afford Termal)

-Binos and a new Rangefinder.

I just picked up two used but great condition lupys. The one is a 3-9x40 vx-2 going on my 280rem. And the other is a vari-x3 6.5-20x50 ao that will probably find a home on my 300rum sendero!!! I believe it's a longrange target. It also has the target turrets on it too.. Also put a vx-3 4.5-14x40 on my 7rum six months ago

Recent Posts