Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle?

Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?

• YES - Of course

Votes: 2,019 72.8%
  • NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me.

Votes: 755 27.2%

• Total voters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?

Last edited:
Hell yea , I gotta Savage Long action here , a Rem 700 short action stock and a few AR-lowers that look sad so they will be getting put together soon as the funds come around.

Already have it on order.

338 Lapua
ABS Barrel
Stiller TAC Action
Jewel Trigger
Badger Removable Mag Trigger Guard
Defensive Edge Muzzle Brake
Lone Wolf Howler Stock

Not Desided on Scope Yet:
USO
IOR
S&B
Lupy

Do not want the rifle over 11 lbs.

Custom Rifles

I am planing on building around 3 i have to buy parts for 1 i have the others ordered or on hand ready to go togethor when the rest of the pieces come.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I'm in the process of building one now.

Lawton 7500 Dual Port Dasher action
Lawton 6mm 1 x 14 twist cut rifle barrel finished to 26" (will probably get shortened to 22-24" depending on weight of the finished rifle)
chambered in 6mm Talldog(6mmBR .100" short)
Jewell 2oz trigger
Richards Microfit Benchrest stock (black laminate)
Lawton scope base
Weaver T-36 scope.

Started this project in January finally received the stock last month.
Just need to finish and bed the stock.
As others have said the Richards Microfit stocks need a lot of work after you receive them before they can be mated to a rifle.

Sorry not a long range hunting rifle.
James

"Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?"

New?..New to me? New parts put together? Used parts put together to make a different gun?
Custom?..Built by a small arms maker? Built by a smith? Something I put together?

My luck with smiths has ben VERY disapointing, luck tradeing for a shooter has ben good and Savages are fun to work on myself. A nasty shoulder injury last year left me a wuss to recoil so a few of the BOOMERS have/will either get downsized or rebarreled to smaller rounds!
With that in mind a Savage J action in 243 just arrived the other day and the plan is to put an 8 twist 6br barrel on it for a long range prairie dog unit. Solved my Cooperites with the addition of a 21 in 22PPC. Could use a light antilope unit but have not yet decided what dirrection to go yet,probibly just add a barrel and bolt to the 204 Stevens?
Realisticly I dont plan much and life just happens so it should be interesting to see what developes?

I liked Nates answer so for 2007: 6mmBR - May. 270 AM - August sometime?6ppc August sometime? Ouch, but I had some catching up to do. My brother got ahead of me in gun count. Just can't let that happen. Who ever said you could have too many. :)
WG

If I build one for myself, that would still count, wouldn't it? I would like to build a Rem 700 L/A (I have one) with an Accurate Innovations walnut hunter stock (have one in AAA walnut) and a #5.5 Shilen 9 twist SS barrel crowned at 25", chambered in .280 Rem. I want to put on a good set of iron sights; a knob adjustable aperture rear, globe front, no scope, finish at around 7 1/2 lbs. I am waiting to see how cataract surgery goes before I commit. I used to shoot match rifle and service rifle out to 600 yds and really enjoyed it. I also used to hunt with a Garand.

I notice that I'm using the phrase "I used to...." a lot lately.

Tom

I know I shouldn't be posting this here, but can't resist. It's not a custom job, but I just ordered a Tikka t3 camo stainless in .223. My gunsmith is going to see it before me and as one would say optimize it. Pillar bedding, Having the stock filled with foam, Picatinny rail added, trigger job "adjustment", then the Bushnell 6-24x40 scope with side parallax and mil-dot reticle added. Turrets don't have enough travel for long range, so I'm going to zero it as far away as I can, then range and use hold-over and hold-under for as close and far away as the mildot reticle will allow me. I love holding over anyways.
I have another dream rifle but don't think I'll ever get it unless some miracle drops in $$$$

Last edited:
Just dropped off the doner action. It was a old Rem 700 7mmRemMag. It has the flattened safety and the old 721 style bolt shroud. We also found out that the old Rem 700 actions are a little bigger (more metal) than the newer actions. Anyways, after more money than my wife will know about and a little magic from my gunsmith...
300RUM
26" 8 twist barrel w/brake
Stock trigger
sleeved bolt for/with saco extractor
Reminton custom shop laminated stock pillar bedded
Sunny Hill bottom metal