do you need to start over with load after neck turning?

Bigeclipse

im considering buying a Hornady neck turner and give neck turning a try. That being said, i don't want to have to re-do all my current loads, especially in my barrel burning rifles such as 28nosler. Is it recommended to re-work loads after neck turning strictly from a safety stand point? Thanks!

im considering buying a Hornady neck turner and give neck turning a try. That being said, i don't want to have to re-do all my current loads, especially in my barrel burning rifles such as 28nosler. Is it recommended to re-work loads after neck turning strictly from a safety stand point? Thanks!
Strictly from a safety stand point???
I can think of no reason thinner case neck walls would increase pressure and make your load less safe.

No, reworking the load is not necessary. Just happen to have started working on another new 28 Nosler barrel, using Peterson brass, (which is the best brass yet I have gotten for the 28) and fired a couple test rounds yesterday to see how they measured, things are superb. Only going to have to trim .005" on these case necks, after firing, to square them up. Using the same load of LRT with 195 EOL.

i actually use forester now .... but, i wish forester made an expander die that was made for their exact pilot diameter . or make the turning pilot just shy of what the normal expander button is (per caliber) . i made my own out of a 45acp die set a turned down the seating stems to match foreaters pilot dimension... lets say, my home made ones are less that precision but work

i think the sinclair will be what i try next .. becase they make a die to open the neck up to prefit over their turner pilot

this fit is the most crucial part .. you will see what i mean

another good choice might be the k &m . i think they make different cutter angle bits

Last edited:
Is there a preferred neck thickness you guys shoot for? I saw an Erik Cortina video where he said he turns to 0.013".
measurememt doesnt matter to me, i aim for the same for my whole lot what ever the measuremnt ends up being ..
start at .015 pick 10 cases and slowly drop the cutter until the surface all the way around gets turned . if you get lower than .012 you probably need different brass

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.