Do you name your rifles?

I own 5 weapons. They are a Remington 700 custom build 300 WinMag, Wilson Combat Super Sniper .308 Winchester, Kimber SS Custom .45 1911, Baretta 686 12 guage, Benjamin Marauder PCP in .25 cal. They are cnamed WHOOPASS 1-5. Because that's what they do... whoopass.

Sniper rifles and assault photos 003.jpg
The only one I've ever named was my old Duty rifle, "The Fixer" Remington custom 40X .308 Win

While my rifle was at Custom Gun Coatings getting an ATACs pattern Cerakoted on . I showed my girlfriends daughter a few of the patterns I originally had interests in. When she ( 9 years old ) saw the ATACs . Her response was " I like the Dusty one " . My rifles became " Dusty" at that moment. I didn't tell her or anyone until Dusty returned home couple months later

Attachments

• IMG_20180929_064156.jpg
    IMG_20180929_064156.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
Here is the quote from the Firefly episode "Our Mrs. Reynolds": "Six men came to kill me one time. And the best of 'em carried this. It's a Callahan full-bore auto-lock. Customized trigger, double cartridge thorough gauge. It is my very favorite gun … This is the best gun made by man. It has extreme sentimental value … I call her Vera." -Jayne Cobb.

Yes, my 338 EDGE on a Mausingfield is Thelma and the Vortex scope is Louise: "Thelma & Louise". My old Browning Safari Grade in 300WM is "Bill" my great boss in the Navy who fell down a mountain with it, the scratches on it make it more personal. My Hi Wall 45-70 is "Tom" (an old mule of ours known for kicking). Old 1904 vintage Model 92 in 44 W.C.F. Is "Pap", my grandfather's rifle. My 358 Winchester is "Fred", a close friend that was lost over Vietnam. Building a 416/300RUM: that will be "Gustav" after the 800mm railway gun.

Full Metal Jacket is my inspiration.. I have Delilah II (REM V3) (One recently slid off the kayak on a goose hunt, MAV 88) & Beatrice is a REM 700 ADL 30-06, glassbed & sporting a 4-12x40 Vortex Diamondback Tactical.. & a camo rattle can / sea sponge paint job..
FB_IMG_1542459050630.jpg

My daughter and I were talking about one of my rifles this weekend, and she was confusing it with another one I own. I realized that I was always referring to them by one of the following
1. Manufacturer
2. Caliber
3. Cartridge

I thought I need to give them some real names.

How many of you give pet names to your rifles? Let's hear about "old Bertha" or whatever pet names you have!

Except for one rifle, they are known by their caliber and model (.308 Remington 700 for example).
The one exception is my .50BMG which was nicknamed "Thumper," for fairly obvious reasons. ;-)

Last edited:
They usually get named when they give me fits (not appropriate to post what I call them on a public forum) ;)

Seriously thinking about naming my first custom build though. 338 Edge with a hca barrel.
20190412_111422.jpg

My daughter and I were talking about one of my rifles this weekend, and she was confusing it with another one I own. I realized that I was always referring to them by one of the following
1. Manufacturer
2. Caliber
3. Cartridge

How many of you give pet names to your rifles? Let's hear about "old Bertha" or whatever pet names you have!

One of my goals is to keep the women in my life confused about my guns, than it's harder for them to figure out how many I have.

And generally, no I don't name them, that's weird.

1. Manufacturer
2. Caliber
3. Cartridge

No. But it's normal for Humans to name inanimate objects: it goes back to beginning of recorded history. Being tools, I do not name "them.." I believe most of my forefathers named their guns before me: which leads me to believe I should too. All the great gun-men in American history named their favorite guns. When they fail: I want to remember they are mechanical devices and nothing more. Going back further: Humans have associated names, deities, gods, with their weapons. As a descendant of Vikings, some of my ancestors where named after the weapons their father wielded. It's really a fascinating subject.