Do You Hunt With A Muzzleloader?

Do You Hunt With A Muzzleloader?

• YES

Votes: 686 56.9%
  • NO

Votes: 520 43.1%

• Total voters
YES! But I use a blackpowder substitute.........

Either IMR 4759, VV110, Accurate 2015, or a duplex load, depending on which gun and bullet combo I'm using. ;)

Now, before anybody gets their panties in a bunch, the guns are 50 cal. Savage Muzzleloaders, either the ML-I with the modules, or the ML-II. :D I've loaded it down for my nephew to use on whitetails with VV110 and a 200 gr. Hornady SST at 100 Yd or less, and loaded it up for wild boars with the Barnes 350 gr. "X" bullet. I've only taken 3 piggies, but all of them went down without taking a step.

Nothing has been taken at what would be considered long range, but the longest shot was @ 167 Yds. I screwed up a shot on a doe @ a bit less than 100 Yds, breaking her off side rear leg. (I'm in a tree stand at the time) She hobbles off and beds down behind a pretty large tree @ 167 Yds., every once in a while, peeking around the tree to see what hurt her. I reloaded, took my time and shot her in the neck as she peeked around the tree once too many times.

250 gr. SST @ 2230 fps is the most accurate load, usually grouping <1" @ 100 Yds from a bench. It has shot a 3 shot best group 5/16" x 5/8" c-c

I use similar substitute powder, but with a lighter bullet and a bit faster :)

edge.

I understand that the new Blackhorn 209 needs no cleaning between shots and you can use Hoppes #9 for cleanup instead of soapy water. I am not really sure if you need to clean at all!

Looks interesting.

edge.

Len:
I just started hunting with my muzzleloader. I was recently at a great gun shop and was talking to their muzzleloader expert. We talked about powders and he talked about a BP substitute that was completely sulphur free. This meant it could be cleaned with hoppe's. He said you could buy it loose or in premeasured viles. Sorry I can't remember the name of the powder or who manfactured it.

I use 120Gr. of triple 7 pellets in my 50/209 Encore.
668707_Muzzleloader_7-point.JPG

I use a T/C Encore 50cal. With 130 gr. Pyrodex pellets, and a 300 gr. Super Glide Shock Wave sabot. This load groups well in my rifle.

I use 120gr V charge of Blackhorn 209 behind a 250gr Shockwave. Best group so far was 2" @ 200 yards. Rather impressive for an off-the-shelf T/C 209x50.

The BH 209 is great stuff. Non-corrosive, does not create a crud ring or other fouling that make 2nd-3rd or 4th shots difficult to load, does not attract water, does not require special (over priced) 209 primers. It is very accurate and produces good velocity to boot.

I weigh all of my BH209 on a scale and put the charges in small plastic vials that I bought on Ebay. If you take the charge by volume and multiply by .7 you will get the charge by weight in grains. This is much more consistent than using volumetric measurements, at least in my opinion.

At $30 for a 10oz bottle the stuff is a bit steep. However, I don't shoot enough BP for this to be a real issue. The $22.50 Haz-Mat charge added to my shipping is a much bigger problem.

I have both an inline and a "flinch lock" as we have two seasons. I'd need them to be about an inch away from my muzzle to hit'em with the flint lock though. Can't get past the poof in my face before the bang. so until I get past that I'll keep practicing or run them down and use it as a club:D

Varmint Hunter, I noticed your from L.I. use to live there> I'm familiar with the Huntington range-which I think closed and then the Islip Range but last shot there in late 60's and then the brookhaven-they had skeet etc. Question what ranges are there today on L.I.