Do you feel the recoil?

Rich Coyle

"A little off topic here but. Does anyone feel the recoil when your shooting at something breathing? I still get the juice when stalking a rabbit. (With a 22)

From the bench or a competition. That's a different story. My 7.5 lb 300 rum kicks like a 10 gauge bps. Shouldered right. I don't remember it going off while hunting.

Good luck on the build. There has been a lot of great info posted."
I think this was posted by jvr. Sorry if I got that wrong. Please correct me if you see this. It seems it needs its own thread.

I used to use a 7-.300 Weatherby firing Nosler Partition 175 grainers at 3,150 feet per second. One time while doing my Daniel Boone routine I looked to the side and there is a deer no more than fifty yards away standing there looking at me. Since it was obviously not concerned I took my time and sat down, placed the reticle right under the chin and fired. It was loud and recoiled like I couldn't believe. After that experience I used Action Ears and a muzzle brake. Now I hold my rifle like I would a BB gun and don't get hammered and never hurt my ears. Life is sweet.

Don't really feel it per se, but notice it. I try to focus on spotting my own impacts, so I see the sight picture go off target momentarily and hopefully back on.

I definitely feel my .338-06 with max charges under 225gr bullets from the bench. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all to stop shooting it (after strings of shots). Probably ought to invest in a heavier stock and a brake for it. Never feel the 1 shot when hunting with it though.

My 338 WM and 300 WM got so bad that I sold them. I was almost to the point of hoping nothing shootable would show up. Bad shoulders will do that to you. With my 358 Win or my 264 WM, my two 'big' cartridges now, I don't notice them even at the bench.

I feel it or notice it. The excitement and tunnel vision is what causes one to not not feel the recoil. The more critters you shoot and the more you learn to control your excitement, the more you will notice the recoil and what's happening around you. Doesn't change your excitement of the hunt/ kill but controlling it makes you a better shot/hunter. It's hard to keep your cross hairs on target if your overly excited heart pounding and breathing hard

When I was younger I didn't notice the recoil hardly at all. 30-06 and .243 were all the same to me. Now it depends on the level of excitement for the shot. Some shots leave me feeling like I am shooting a goat in the pasture. I notice the recoil then. But sometimes when there is a bit more drama involved, I don't notice it. I wish I had more hunts like that.

The longer range the shot the more I feel it. Have to be relaxed to make the shot. I free recoil so with a heavy recoiling rifle will often get me with the scope. Since I started hunting long range I brake almost all my hunting rifles. With a very good brake. I don't like getting punched to make a good shot.

Steve

Being a little recoil sensitive I certainly feel the recoil while shooting from a bench but when shooting animals I basically feel nothing even when sitting or prone. At the bench I always wear earmuffs but when hunting I can't ever remember thinking to myself gee that was loud. One deer I shot I can't remember the noise at the shot but I do remember the echo from the surrounding hills.

I haven't ever been recoiled sensitive....but often catch myself awaiting the trigger to release that first shot at the range...after that i settle in and shoot....but as for hunting..most the time shots are too quick in the trees to worry about recoil...but still would rather have less noise..even with ear plugs....

I haven't ever been recoiled sensitive....but often catch myself awaiting the trigger to release that first shot at the range...after that i settle in and shoot....but as for hunting..most the time shots are too quick in the trees to worry about recoil...but still would rather have less noise..even with ear plugs....
I am far more noise sensitive than recoil sensitive.

It's taken many years of convincing but I am 56 now and done with recoil. With the higher SD options available I have moved away from anything larger than 7mm in a packable hunting rifle. I hear you Rich, good ears and a good brake make for a good time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.