Do you feel the recoil?

I've heard leaving the rod in on a black powder firearm feels horrid. A fella I know who did said his entire shoulder turned purple

In my earlier years of hunting when recoil management was a decent recoil pad, I found that with practice and conditioning, I could quickly acclimate myself to recoil. This was very evident with a couple of African safaris back in the 80's using a 9 pound 375 H&H, and an 11 pound 500-450 H&H Double. Only hard, red rubber pads, no brakes. I was also about 40 pounds lighter. Back then, bench shooting the big cartridges was kept to a minimum, usually for just zeroing the rifle. In time, both felt not much different then my 30-06 Sporter, and I didn't give recoil a second thought. Now, with LRH, and Tactical sports being a major emphasis, I focus quite heavily on recoil management. The combination of high precision shooting at long range and the ability to spot hits are greatly benefited by diligently managing the rifle and load for minimum recoil. I now much prefer the least amount of recoil that I can get away with, without sacrificing the required performance.
I wish Len would dig up our old thread on managing recoil and put it up as a sticky. That was one of the best threads we've had going here since I joined.

I'm not a "free recoil" guy but I no longer fight it either, I just have trained myself to absorb it and "go with the flow" with minimal resistance.

"A little off topic here but. Does anyone feel the recoil when your shooting at something breathing? I still get the juice when stalking a rabbit. (With a 22)

From the bench or a competition. That's a different story. My 7.5 lb 300 rum kicks like a 10 gauge bps. Shouldered right. I don't remember it going off while hunting.

Good luck on the build. There has been a lot of great info posted."
I think this was posted by jvr. Sorry if I got that wrong. Please correct me if you see this. It seems it needs its own thread.

I used to use a 7-.300 Weatherby firing Nosler Partition 175 grainers at 3,150 feet per second. One time while doing my Daniel Boone routine I looked to the side and there is a deer no more than fifty yards away standing there looking at me. Since it was obviously not concerned I took my time and sat down, placed the reticle right under the chin and fired. It was loud and recoiled like I couldn't believe. After that experience I used Action Ears and a muzzle brake. Now I hold my rifle like I would a BB gun and don't get hammered and never hurt my ears. Life is sweet.

My wife says "no".....despite the fact that her "hunting" rifle has pretty "stiff" recoil (sub 9#, unbraked, .338 WM). In fact, if she is a bit hurried, she is a little more excited! The more time she has....the more calm and deliberate she is. I've seen her make a few pretty impressive shots. Maybe her most impressive, though only about 150 to 170 yards, through relatively heavy timber, from prone position, shooting over the edge of a steep ridge (bench), down to the next bench ( the ridge appeared to be terraced). There was a group of cow elk, milling about below, and when you could see them at all....they appeared as broken shadows. She went to a prone position, found a little window (about 4 to 6 inches), through the timber.... and waited for a cow to step into the window. A minute or so later, a single shot fired, and meat for the freezer! memtb

Last edited:
The ONLY gun I have ever 'moved on' due to being completely unpleasant to shoot off the bench was a 'boat paddle' Ruger in 300WM. It was awful off the bench, almost as bad from sitting in the field and would bruise me badly.
I have several 300's in other rifles and have nary a problem shooting them even prone, it was just that rifles design that 'got me'.
Normally I don't feel the recoil when shooting game. Even my 338's and 375's feel mild to me.

I also shoot big bore comps with 375 Weatherby, 416 Rigby, 458 Lott, 404 Jeffrey and 505 Gibbs.
The only rifle that I notice the recoil while shooting at game was my 505 Gibbs Safari Classic, it's hard not to notice it, I admit that it hurt me to shoot it, but I am yet to develop a flinch because of it.
I recently sold it for a considerable profit, regretfully.

Cheers.

My wife says "no".....despite the fact that her "hunting" rifle has pretty "stiff" recoil! In fact, if she is a bit hurried, she is a little more excited! The more time she has....the more calm and deliberate she is. I've seen her make a few pretty impressive shots. Maybe her most impressive, though only about 150 to 170 yards, through relatively heavy timber, from prone position, shooting over the edge of a steep ridge (bench), down to the next bench ( the ridge appeared to be terraced). There was a group of cow elk, milling about below, and when you could see them at all....they appeared as broken shadows. She went to a prone position, found a little window (about 4 to 6 inches), through the timber.... and waited for a cow to step into the window. A minute or so later, a single shot fired, and meat for the freezer! memtb
I honestly believe women mind recoil less because of their higher pain tolerance.(generalization) my wife is drawn for Muley and asked what rifle she should use and I said the 6.5 would work well and she's like, "I want a big gun not something little" lol I'll shoot the 6.5 and she can shoot the 300wby

I feel it from the bench with my 300 win mag but I enjoy it. Makes me feel alive. I always shoot prone and take around 10 shots per day. While hunting I never feel anything unless it's the blood running down into my eye! Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts