Do you ever go on outfitted hunts?

• I have in the past

Votes: 423 32.8%
  • I plan to in the future

Votes: 554 42.9%
  • I probably never will in the future

Votes: 517 40.0%

• Total voters
I work for the Forest Service and have seen a lot. Enough to have turned me against hunting with an outfitter. I hate to generalize them all into one category but really haven't figured out how to separate the weeds from the crop. I only know two guides who I really like and respect and one of them has passed on.

What I have experienced that were worse than the outfitters are the "front men" for hunting shows. I've seen them put out upwards of 100 game cameras a day, run hunters off by telling them they are on private property when they weren't, swoop in with ten or more spotters with hand held radios and kill all the big elk in a valley and all load up and take off for the next forest, and the list goes on.

I really don't know what has happened to our hunter ethics.

So, no, I probably will never use an outfitter.

Sorry for your problem. I have been on quite a few outfitted hunts and never once seen even a hint of unethical behavior by the outfitter or guide. I think yours were not typical experiences. But as in any other field of business it must exist.

I know Len.

I probably should have kept that to myself since it was not from a hunters point of view but from the land managers side.

Went on a guided bear hunt once. The baits where poorly layed out and the area overhunted(Only one bear taken for 6 hunters) BUT it did get us started. Was kinda nice not haveing to cook though!!The price was right and we had a great time so ya under the same circumstances I'd do it again! I'm cheap and would rather fail myself and try again than pay big bucks for a guide.

From J E Custom's post:

1 = you should do a lot of research before you talk to the outfitter.
2 = Get references and talk to some of them to get a feel for the type of outfitter he is (Not
just a good old boy).
3 = Communicate well with the outfitter and express your wants and expectations of the hunt.
4 = And if the Hunt does not appear to be headed in the right direction ,REDIRECT IT !!! It's
your money.
5 = And by all means don't demand a guaranteed kill because they cannot do that but they
should try very hard to make your hunt a success .

Those planning on an outfitted hunt should take these steps seriously. Every step is important to do all you can to have an enjoyable hunt. Notice I didn't say to assure you'll get the game amimal(s) your hunting. Only guaranteed hunts are not hunts just a shooting experience (imo)

With the internet, hunting organizations as B&C, P&Y, Hunting Report, etc. an awful lot of information is available for those willing to do the research.

Because I hunt Canada and Alaska a good bit, I have used outfitters many times. When possible, I enjoy DIY hunts every bit as much.

I have to say that on hunts where I don't loose an arrow or fire a shot, I have not once considered it a bad hunt. Having a good recipe for tag soup helps.

Not sure about the happy face???

How about a section of this site devoted to our experiences with various outfitters. It sure would help in deciding where to lay down our $$$$$$ on future hunts.

Like I said I probably won't make it on one of these for a long time but this isn't a bad idea. I think it'd be help to those who are going.

Like I said I probably won't make it on one of these for a long time but this isn't a bad idea. I think it'd be help to those who are going.
+1 I think it would help the outfitters business as well . I live in a small town I've owned a small business and word of mouth is the best way to draw in customers. Treat people right and you want have to worry about the next job, of course their is always some one that can't be satisified no matter how well you do and that person is usually remebered for his reputation as always being dissatisfied. If I were to drop big money on a guided hunt then it would be a great relief to come onto this site and survey a thread about past experiences with certain outfitters i think it's a great ideah.

Bigbuck

Probably not. I spend enough time and money doing this as it is and get alot of enjoyment. I try to spend what left over time I have with my wife-who occassionally will shoot but, isn't into hunting.

I have to agree with Bigbuck and Jmason (love your whiskey by the by). At this point in my life it would be entirely selfish of me to go on an outfitted hunt. Granted, if "she who must be obeyed" let me trot off to New Zealand with the boys for a red stag hunt......:rolleyes:

Don't feel too bad I had to wait until I retired and the girls got married.
I just turned 64 and it was worth the wait. Best time I ever had!

My dad had the same idea. Retired from one of the largest construction companies as a supervisor. Then worked four more years with a small construction company as a supervisor. He finally retired at 66. Granted he could of done it long before. My point is he worked hard for 48 years(he told me he only missed one day of work) and when he retired his health went down hill fast. So don't wait until it might be to late to enjoy yourself. I have been planning to start for five years now. I have a young family also but I am fortunate to have a good job and we have always live well inside our means. My plans are to start with a exotic deer hunt probably a fallow and go from there.

Brent

Well i,ve put aside a few $ just to go hunting as much as possible. It was some fun and met some great people!
Next trip is to Baxter Springs, Kanas for pheasants.
Check ot the Web site " Show me Birds"

They breed these birds for speed. Its like trying to shoot down a Navy jet!
Can't wait!

Hunt as much as you can before the developers take all the land

I guess its the chance you take, but the 1 and only time i ever "paid an outfitter" was to pack our huntin buddies and me into wilderness area where not 1 of us saw even 1 elk till 2 days after the season on the way out.(1 cow) These guys are all seasoned hunters ranging from 32yrs old (me the young buck) to 58 yrs old in GREAT physical condition.All of us were raised in hunting families, in the northwest.Thats alot of combined experience to go completely empty handed. This was not a guided hunt, just an outfitters drop camp hunt. I respect guides and how difficult thier job is,(hunting with all comers is something i could not do) but I will say when I shoot or dont, and at what i want to shoot. And NO IM NOT going to pay an extra $1000.00 per point for the one you have tied to the tree. Im also gonna keep my meat and horns Especially if its a record.NO I wont settle for a replica makebelive set you will have made for me so you can show off MY real horns at YOUR lodge.I wasted 5 years worth of poinst for that tag and almost $2000.00! When i couldve just hunted around home and ''settled'' for another raghorn bull.
$2000.00 will buy a nice rifle next time i have a hair brained idea like paying to hunt!
Oh well, at least i got to see some new country that i wouldnt have otherwise.:)

Last edited:
Im NOT trying to be judgemental towards guides or people who use them!
I just had a very costly learning curve that im not about to repeat. I live in elk country and have always been a DIY guy so i dont have any excuse for using an outfitter to see if the grass is greener somewhere else. My paying for the above mentioned hunt was no fault of anyone but me. Theres never any guarantee in fair chase hunting. But 5 guys at 2grand a piece for 7 days......youd think if they wanted ANY repeat business that 10 grand would at least put you in the general 10/15 mile vicinity of the critters your trying to find.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.