do you crimp?

I SHOOT STUFF

Do you all crimp your hunting loads?

I've loaded some nice accurate stuff, put one-at-a-time in the chamber at the range, but I'm wondering if I aught to crimp for hunting for recoil in the magazine.

Also, I try to load only for Barnes. Should these be crimped if not seated on a crimp ring?

I never crimp anything, just one more variable in the equation. I try for .002-.004 neck tension on my reloads and that seems to work for everything from my .243 to a 300 WM.

ISS, I don't "crimp", but I have used the Lee Factory crimping die. The die squeezes the neck tight on the bullet with a collet instead of rolling a crimp like most factory dies. I've done some tests and the SD is better with the Lee Factory crimp die. It is very necessary to crimp rounds used in a tubular magazine like the 45/70 and 450 Marlin. Not exactly LR rounds, but you can firmly crimp and it is the only way recommended by Hawk Bullets.

I crimp my 44 Mag on the crimp groove. Haven't tried it with rifle as I heard tell it wasn't needed.

But then I am just starting out as a handloader after 20 years as a reloader. Until I joined this site, I had no idea as to the level frustration I had left out of my life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Do you all crimp your hunting loads? No.

I only crimp revolver loads.

I don't for most jacketed bullets.

An exception is a particularly hard kicking load for one of my .300 Winchester Magnums because this cartridge has such a short neck.

I do for lead bullets.

I don't when using jacketed bullets in straight cased calibers like most revolver calibers because they are "all neck" & depending on the bullet should have enough grip surface between the bullet shank and the inside wall of the case to hold the bullet in place and keep it from slipping.

I usually always crimp lead bullets in place, especially in revolvers.

If I don't need to crimp I don't cause crimping, especially roll crimping, shortens case life.

Do you all crimp your hunting loads?

I've loaded some nice accurate stuff, put one-at-a-time in the chamber at the range, but I'm wondering if I aught to crimp for hunting for recoil in the magazine.

Also, I try to load only for Barnes. Should these be crimped if not seated on a crimp ring?

I crimp all my handgun stuff unless it's for a single shot pistol. I also crimp my big bore stuff (.444, .450 Marlins). I rarely crimp anything for a bolt action gun
gary

I use the lee factory crimpp die on everything...im not sure how it affects accuracy but my hnting loads routinely turn .75 moa or less, now either im very lucky or it doesnt hurt accuracy that much...and i dont shoot BR, all of my shooting is geared toward hunting...

An opinion without actual experience is just hot air

I use the lee factory crimpp die on everything...im not sure how it affects accuracy but my hnting loads routinely turn .75 moa or less, now either im very lucky or it doesnt hurt accuracy that much...and i dont shoot BR, all of my shooting is geared toward hunting...

I've heard the Lee Crimp dies and the theory of crimping bullets without cannelures seriously knocked but usually by people who have never tried them.

I haven't tried them yet but will in the future.

The jury is out til then.

I crimp all hunting loads, they get rough treatment in the bolt and lever guns. I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on most, a few I roll crimp. I only load Barnes All Copper bullets for hunting and use one of the bands. With all loads I have never had bad accuracy due to crimp versus no crimp, but have noted more consistant velocities from the crimped rounds. Just my system. MEV

Most rifle cartridges (execpt for things like a 375 and up) don't need it if you have adequate neck tension on your cases. If I see the length changing on my rounds...I will adjust the expander ball on my resizing die to add a little case neck tension.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.