Do you compute uphill and downhill shots the same?

twoftagl

I got to wondering about computing angle shots. With the angle/cosign method, it seems a given angle is calculated the same way when shooting UP hill as it is for the same angle DOWN hill.

However wouldn't a bullet traveling UP hill take longer to get there, and therefore incur more "drop" than the bullet traveling DOWN hill? It just doesn't seem we're using the right calculations for this, but I can't put my finger on why though.

What say you?

Its the same.It is the diaginal of a triangle.Same up or down.There is a in depth article on it here in that section,use search to check it out.The cosine number is a slightly simplified method and not as accurate at further distance,because the range is still farther and acts on bullet, time of flight.

I got to wondering about computing angle shots. With the angle/cosign method, it seems a given angle is calculated the same way when shooting UP hill as it is for the same angle DOWN hill.

However wouldn't a bullet traveling UP hill take longer to get there, and therefore incur more "drop" than the bullet traveling DOWN hill? It just doesn't seem we're using the right calculations for this, but I can't put my finger on why though.

What say you?
Yes an extreme downhill shot is going to be running a little faster than level and an extreme uphill shot is goign to be running a little slower than level.

However until you get to very extreme ranges it's not enough to make any difference so you can just use the same calculation for either.

When you account for all the other variables you can shoot up or down hill using the same math as I really don't think you'd notice the difference. I believe that Sierra has a detailed explanation of the differences if you care to know all the math

I figured there had to be a small difference. Certainly not enough for me to notice, that's for sure.

I assume the ballistics programs do the math to the Nth degree, with the cosign method being a field-expedient close guess.

.284....do you know where Sierra explains this? I am kinda curious...thanks!

Chris

Draw your own conclusions.

My conclusions are:

For 20° I would not worry about it being up or down hill to about 750 yd. After that it
would start accumulating pretty fast.
Folks using a ballistics application like my self, should always enter the "-" negative sign
if shooting down hill even at shorter distances just as a good practice to form good habits
that way won't mess up when I really need it.

REMEMBER to click on the chart to make it bigger. If needed click on it again, it may help.

UpDownHill.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.