Do u prefer manners over McMillan?

fisherman983

Like the title days, looking for anyone that prefers manners over McMillan stocks or cice versa and why. I have a rifle built on a McMillan a3 and love it. Have in possession a manners eh1 to fondle and I like it as well. Trying to figure out which way to go for my next build. Not 100% sure I like the increased palm swell on the manners just yet. Looking for feedback/thoughts.
Rifle will be used as a long range hunting rig. Planning on 28" proof carbon in 7-300wm.

I don't think those two stocks are good comparisons but, my short answer is, McMillan is my favorite for most applications.

I prefer Manners over Mcmillan. When looking at the light weight options such as the EH1 the Manners has less drop at comb/heal. It gives a much better cheek weld. Many disagree with me so you will get differing opinions.
If the spec sheets are correct, on the two he is comparing, the drop is practically the same. The A3 McMillan is actually about .040" less than an EH1.

The a3 is much heavier. The last time I spoke with McMillan there was no lightweight option that had the drop spec of the Manners.

I do not have an A3, I do have an EH1 and I love it. I didn't know if I'd like the palm swell either, but it has grown on me. All my other stocks are McMillan hunters or HS. The EH1 is hands down my favorite.

The act
The a3 is much heavier. The last time I spoke with McMillan there was no lightweight option that had the drop spec of the Manners.
The action area and forend of the A3 is larger but with an edge fill it won't be much heavier. Manners shows a weight of 30 ounces and McMillan shows 32-36 ounces.

I have a Manners EH3 that weighed 31.5 ounces when I unboxed it.

My choice for a stock with the barrel he chose would be a McMillan Game Warden.

Sorry the A3 has a .625 drop vs .35 for the EH1 and can be as lite. The A5 is much heavier. It makes it pretty difficult to compare online because McMillans site sucks.

Sorry the A3 has a .625 drop vs .35 for the EH1 and can be as lite. The A5 is much heavier. It makes it pretty difficult to compare online because McMillans site sucks.
The drop shown on their website for an A3 is 5/16" (.3125").

I do not have an a3 in my possession currently but from my recollection you can pull the bolt back on an A3 and have quite a bit of gap between the bolt and stock with no cut out. The EH1 has a cut out. The EH1 stock line is in line with the center of the bolt. I personally would call the zero drop at comb. I think it must be a difference in the way they measure because they are not the same.

I have an A5 adjustable and a manners EH2. I really like both stocks (I know apples to oranges as far as design). If you were to give me a manners or Mcmillan I would be happy. They both make lightweight of their stock designs too with the edge or sniper fill. Fit and finish have been pretty much spot on for my Rem 700s and clone variants. My EH2 does have a tiny little palm swell, but I feel like it's done just right. I hate palms swells, think the HS Precision sendero or Police models. But manners has it figured out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.