Do some heavier grain bullets

Southernfryedyankee

shoot better than lighter ones. I bought a box of Core-lokt 150's and I know I am supposed to shoot some different brands to see which my gun prefers but does that go for grain weight also. Should I also pick up a box of 165g core-lokts?

My 7mm does not like anything below 150 gr, and prefers 162 grain to 175 grain. All depends on your guns rifling twist and the fps you are shooting at. Time to experiment.:D:D

The longer the bullet the faster the twist it takes to stablize it, so what your gun will be most accurate with depend on it twist rate. I am not sure what the 700 has for a twist rate, but would guess that what you have should do well in it, and so should the 165`s. Try the 150`s and if your satisfied with the accuracy your good to go. If not try the 165`s and see if they are better. You might also try flat based bullets and boat tail bullets to see which shoots best. The thing is to find out which load is the absolute best you would have to try them all, and that could get expencive, so when you find one you like quit.

My ol' -06 liked 180gr the best for some reason. I wish it liked 165's or 168's better, they seem to fit the bill for an -06 quite well. But killed deer, elk, and bear...and everythingelse I shot at with 180's so thats what I went with.
Go with what it likes best, but never quit experimenting with different wt.'s and brands when you have an itch to

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.