Do Nosler Partitions Group Well at High Velocity?

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
Thanks for all the input, as usual, I think it is a rifle/bullet/load balance to get any good handload and it is very achievable with the NP. I have the .277 160gn semispitzer and want to flop it on top of a 270WSM so we'll see how I do. I like what I learn from threads like this, like JE Custom's note about flat based bullets. They are very accurate and this single thought had me rethinking a 325WSM load where I used a flat based Hornady Interlock which has excellent accuracy but yet wanted to migrate over to a boattailed bullet. Nah

The 22-60gr PT generally got the best accuracy when pushed hard. Generally the Nosler bullets must get a specified accuracy before the presses will even run.

Partitions have a tangent ogive so generally they aren't fussy about jump. I just load them to box mag lengths since they are designed to be a hunting bullet. They area generally easy to get acceptable "hunting" accuracy with.

I've been loading NP for the last 25 years for my .270 and they work great. When I first started doing load development years ago, I noticed they didn't group well when I pushed them hard, but backing them down a small amount helped a great deal. I guess it's what my barrel wanted and have stayed with them to this day.

However, with California and there new 'non-lead hunting rule' for 2019, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe buy a box of the new non-lead stuff just in case I get asked but still use my hand loads in the field (as I shake my head from side to side).

I've been loading NP for the last 25 years for my .270 and they work great. When I first started doing load development years ago, I noticed they didn't group well when I pushed them hard, but backing them down a small amount helped a great deal. I guess it's what my barrel wanted and have stayed with them to this day.

However, with California and there new 'non-lead hunting rule' for 2019, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe buy a box of the new non-lead stuff just in case I get asked but still use my hand loads in the field (as I shake my head from side to side).

Don't sweat it at all. You'll be able to easily dial in some excellent copper 270 loads and they have many great .277 offerings these days.

....However, with California and there new 'non-lead hunting rule' for 2019, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe buy a box of the new non-lead stuff just in case I get asked but still use my hand loads in the field (as I shake my head from side to side)........

I get the rebellious thing, but don't let it cause you to overlook the improvements in all copper bullets such as the Hammers.

I wish you well however you proceed!

Hammer bullets makes some really nice monolithic .277 bullets worth looking at.

In 25, 26, 27, 30 & 33 cal, I have had numerous instances of Partitions grouping 3 shots touching at 200yrds, and a lot more instances at 100yrds.
In regard to accuracy at high velocity, I run magnums flat out and have never seen a Partition effected by speed opening up groups, sometimes, this phenomena is caused by powder unsuitability rather than the speed of the bullet, it's the rise in pressure causing the issue.

Cheers.

I got my first elk with an off the shelf Federal Premium 150gn NP in 270Win, as it grouped rather well at the range and ended up performing flawlessly in the field. When I started reloading however, I noticed that I could not quite get them to group as well as other bullets, without taking a bit off of the velocity and figured it was due to concentricity issues with such a bullet structure.

What are your experiences with getting the NP to group well? thanks
I like accubonds but have had mixed results ! On a moose I shot last year the bullet blew apart but stopped him in his tracks ! I shot an elk later in the year and the bullet performed perfectly and retained amost 130 grs out of the 180 accubond so maybe the bullet struck something in the moose that caused it to break apart, I don't know that answer but liked the result !

High speed is relative but I have a 30-06 that will shoot 180 partitions half MOA at 200 yards (haven't tested further yet) at close to 2900fps. That's pretty screaming in my book. Have a 6.5-300 that will shoot MOA out to 400 yards (furthest tested yet) cruising along at 3300ish fps. Couple 7-08s that lose accuracy over 2800fps and seem to prefer closer to 2650-2700fps. Also have a Creedmoor that will shoot pretty much anything sub MOA but will run 140 partitions just under 2900fps with a repeatable 3/4 MOA.

I've not had issues getting partitions to fly well at normal hunting distances (what they're intended for of course). Start with a seating test and tune from there. Some say their rifles flat out won't shoot a partition but luckily, that hasn't been the case for anything I've tried so far. I was on the accubond bandwagon for a long time as the end-all-be-all but have started to come back to the partition as my main hunting bullet for any anticipated shots inside 400 yards....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.